[Commlist] #resistance: Exploring digital protest by marginalised groups

Fri May 24 14:16:29 GMT 2019

*CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS *

In recent years, there has been an explosion of research on the role of social media in contemporary social movements like Black Lives Matter, Occupy Wall Street, Indignados movement and the Arab Spring. Yet, little attention has been brought to the everyday use of social media as a tool of resistance to challenge unequal gender, racial, colonial and economic relations. This two-day event will bring together students, early career researchers (ECRs) and established academics in diverse fields with advocates working on daily resistance and online activism.

This event will be a hybrid conference, having both face-to-face and virtual presentations, following a module of a Nearly Carbon-Neutral Conference (NCN). Having a hybrid event would mean that our carbon footprint would reduce significantly (although not entirely) and most importantly, panellists from around the world would be able to participate without having to travel. This type of model challenges hierarchical geopolitical power relations regarding the production and dissemination of knowledge. Having virtual participations -through podcasts, live streaming, online Q & A, pre-recorded videos on YouTube will allow this emerging network to establish a dynamic dialogue with our peers in the Global South that might be restricted because of money and visa related issues. We are seeking contributions that respond to and advance critical reflection on one or several of the following key questions: o Can social media be used to challenge geopolitical notions of activism? o What are the uses of social media as an everyday tool of resistance against racism, white supremacy, colonialism, misogyny, homo and transfobia, ableism, among others? o In what ways is social media being used for human rights?  o How can we tackle issues around social media censorship? o Can there be a decolonial approach regarding the use of social media as resistance given the neoliberal and colonial implications of technology companies and social media? o What are some of the ethical implications of using social media as a tool of protest? o In what ways is social media being used as counter resistance?

*ORGANISATION AND LOGISTICS *
This is a 2-day workshop taking place from Wednesday 18th to Thursday 19th September 2019 at the School of Geography of the University of Leeds. There are no fees to pay and light meals will be provided during the workshop. If you are travelling from within the UK, the workshop will cover travel and accommodation expenses. We are looking for people, particularly the Global South, who would want to participate virtually.  Interventions do not have to be in English as we can use subtitles with virtual presentations. This workshop is not limited to academics; we seek the
participation of activists, students and independent researchers.

*ABSTRACT SUBMISSION *
Abstracts should summarise the objectives of the proposed paper communication and explain how they relate to the key questions addressed in this call. Abstracts should not exceed 250 words and include the names, contact details and affiliation of all authors. In the afternoon of September 19th , an alternative and interactive methods event will take place. Please indicate in your abstract (not included in the 250 words) if you would like to attend this part of the workshop.
Please submit by: 31 May 2019
Send abstract to: (l.t.loyolahernandez /at/ leeds.ac.uk)

* WORKSHOP DYNAMICS *
All accepted participants are requested to send a short paper communication of 900-1250 words by 15 August 2019. Papers will be shared with all participants prior to the workshop to better prepare interaction and discussion. Our aim is to publish all suitable communications as Blog entries very soon after the workshop as well as create podcasts of the workshop discussions so
they are available to the public free of charge.