[Commlist] cfp: Global News Literacy Conference

Fri Apr 19 08:18:13 GMT 2019

Faculty of Political Science and Journalism, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań and School of Journalism, Stony Brook University (News York, USA) kindly invite all scholars, educators and NGO activists to join the *Global News Literacy Conference which will be held in Poznań on June 7-8 2019.*

We will discuss a broad range of issue related to the evolution of media, their social and political influence, as well as opportunities and challenges facing media education.

For more detailed information check our website: _http://newsliteracyconf2019.wnpid.amu.edu.pl/main-site/_

++++

News Literacy Center at Faculty of Political Science and Journalism, Adam
Mickiewicz University, Poznań and News Literacy Center, School of Journalism, Stony Brook University (New York, USA) invite paper proposals for the News Literacy Global Conference which will be held at AMU’s Morasko campus on 7-8 June 2019. This event will continue the discussion started at the Stony Brook University in 2017 during the first News Literacy Global Conference. The conference is also one of many scientific
events commemorating University of Poznań’s 100th anniversary.
News Literacy is a pioneer media education curriculum launched by SBU’s School of Journalism in 2007. It has been adopted at the AMU’s Faculty of Political Science and Journalism in 2014. Our curriculum aims to help students of all ages to navigate the challenging digital media environment through development of critical thinking and verification skills. Our desired effect is to help students become critical news consumers who are able to judge news’ reliability. We also strongly believe that it is an effective
way to build society’s resistance to disinformation and media manipulation.

Through Global News Literacy Conference we aim to engage the media studies*
and education community in a wider discussion built around three goals:*

*
*• Presentation and reflection on the newest research on the current media
environment and their relevance for Media Education;

• Discussion on possible contribution of News Literacy course, materials
and other output of our activities to further research and education
related to media issues;

• Networking opportunities for academics, teachers and NGO activists
working on News Literacy and broader Media Education.

We invite original proposals for papers focused on following topics:

*
I. Current media environment: Patterns and Impacts of Media Consumption Modes
*• How have new technologies affected media, Media Education and News
Literacy? How can technology be used most effectively to further News
Literacy and broader Media Education initiatives?
• How is disinformation spread? How have strategies of media manipulation
changed? In efforts to combat disinformation and manipulation, what are
the best practices for information security?

II. Media education: Approaches, Challenges and Successes*
*• Positive News Literacy and Media Education: How do we teach young
people to evaluate the quality of information without turning them into
cynics who trust nothing?
• What are the best methods for teaching News Literacy and Media
Education concepts to younger students?
• News Literacy and Media Education for the general public: How can social
media platforms and online learning be used to further this effort? Can
these initiatives work across borders?
• News Literacy research and resources: As we seek to enrich our
understanding of the global impact and possibilities of News Literacy, how
can we best utilize the available data in future research? What new
avenues of research are worth pursuing?
• Measuring the effectiveness of News Literacy education: How can we use
both direct and indirect measures to assess the effectiveness of News
Literacy and Media Education?

The second day of the Conference (8th June) will be dedicated to presentations and debate involving various Third Sector actors engaged in Media Education (NGOs, Fact Checkers, teachers). We believe that it will broaden the academic debate started
on the Conference’s first day (7th June).
The organizers will prepare a publishing proposal for selected papers based on an arrangement with a scientific journal. Detailed information will become available
closer to the actual event.

Conference fee:

*
*Regular - 250 PLN

PhD Students - 100 PLN

Educators - 50 PLN

Deadlines:*
30.04.2019 *- Paper proposal submission via online form - http://newsliteracyconf2019.wnpid.amu.edu.pl/for-researchers/

10.05.2019 - Confirmation of paper’s acceptance by the Program Committee

27.05.2019 - Submission of the conference papers by selected participants