[Commlist] One-day Unconference: Telling Stories – in celebration of the ‘half-baked’ idea in Public Relations research

Mon Mar 25 16:35:28 GMT 2019

*One-day unconference, Tuesday 25^th June, 2019*

*University of Wolverhampton Business School, in conjunction with Sheffield Hallam University*

In honour of the unfinished paper, this one-day un-conference brings together PR academics to explore undeveloped and unfinished ideas in public relations research. It is an opportunity to gain valuable feedback on embryonic ideas and to rediscover the fun in research.

The day begins by exploring the promise and excitement of new research and privileging the research journey over the destination, with a keynote by musical theatre lecturer, Sarah Whitfield, from the University of Wolverhampton, entitled /Scrappy paperwork and beautiful fragments: our incomplete archives/:

/As researchers and academics the need to finish and make complete outputs can be at best nerve wracking, and at the other completely paralysing: the ghosts of what we haven’t finished seem to haunt what we could yet start. But what if we change how we view the ideas we have for projects, the things we wanted to do but never could, and the things that didn’t work, we might be able to see them in a radically different way. What if we could value our own personal archive of incomplete ideas, of beautiful fragments, and use it to nurture what we do or make next? This is a story of how I found my way out of three years of writer’s block, by accepting half-finished ideas, bits and pieces of what Walter Benjamin so beautifully calls ‘scrappy paperwork’ as valuable on its own terms. By messing about with the unfinished and seeing where it gets us – creative possibilities for what we do next start to emerge./

Following a short break, delegates choose from one of three themed workshops in which to present their ‘half-baked’ idea/s. Themes under consideration include PR & Business, PR & Society, and PR & Politics.

The day closes with a call to arms from animation expert, Emily Mantell, /An idea is born/ followed by a drinks reception.

The conference will cost £25, to include lunch and drinks reception.

For more information or to register  please visit the conference website: https://tellingstoriesinpublicrelations.wordpress.com/