Archive for February 2019

[Commlist] International Digital Divide Conference

Tue Feb 26 22:05:31 GMT 2019

__

PARTNERSHIP FOR PROGRESS ON THE DIGITAL DIVIDE (PPDD)____

2019 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE____

22-24 May 2019____

Washington, DC USA____

http://www.ppdd.org/conferences/ppdd2019/____

__ __

*Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide (PPDD)* is the only academic professional organization in the world focused solely on the digital divide and on connecting research to policymaking and practice to strategize actions and catalyze solutions to this pressing societal concern.  The academic research, policymaker, and practitioner community represented by PPDD stands ready to advance the agenda on broadband and the digital divide, to address the many challenges and opportunities presented by the digital world, and to further evidence-based policymaking and practice so that all citizens can participate fully in the digital, networked age.____

__ __

The interdisciplinary Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide 2019 International Conference brings together researchers, policymakers, and practitioners for an extended, in-depth dialogue about key issues that inform information and communication technologies and the digital divide around the world. The Conference works to identify new areas of necessary, productive focus, foster greater understanding, advance research, and enlighten policy and practice going forward. An optional 21 May afternoon Field Trip to digital inclusion program sites offers the opportunity to learn firsthand about innovative initiatives to bridge the digital divide in Washington, DC.____

__ __

PPDD 2019 is particularly significant as it marks the 25th anniversary of the recognition of the digital divide through social scientific research. And, within PPDD 2019, we plan to have the largest worldwide gathering of disability digital divide experts ever.____

__ __

As a major outcome of PPDD 2019, in addition to the PPDD 2019 Proceedings and E-Book, we plan to produce an edited volume of the top papers as well as special issues of our Publishing Partners’journals on specific themes within the digital divide area.____

__ __

If you would like to present and discuss your work during PPDD 2019 and have it included in the online PPDD 2019 International Conference Proceedings and/or if you would like to provide a Position Paper for inclusion in the PPDD 2019 E-Book, please see the Call for Participation section below.____

__ __

If you would like to just attend PPDD 2019 to explore the issues and grow your knowledge and network of connections, please know that you are very welcome and valued in the PPDD Conference Community.____

__ __

Please join PPDD and an unprecedented broad multi-disciplinary coalition of co-sponsoring organizations from academic, policymaking, and practitioner communities to share your insights and expertise. Together, we will enrich the dialogue, connect research, policy and practice, and advance the agenda on the digital divide.____

__ __

Please contact conference [at] ppdd [dot] org with any questions.____

__ __

*----------------------------------------------------____*

*CALL FOR PARTICIPATION____*

*----------------------------------------------------*____

__ __

If you would like to 1) present and discuss your work during PPDD 2019 and have it included in the online PPDD 2019 International Conference Proceedings, and/or if you would like to 2) provide a Position Paper for inclusion in the PPDD 2019 E-Book, we look forward with enthusiasm to your contribution and ask that you please follow the instructions provided at http://www.ppdd.org/conferences/ppdd2019/cfp/ to submit your work.  .  Submissions are welcome from researchers, policymakers, and practitioners at all stages of their careers, from any theoretical and methodological approach, and across multiple disciplines.____

__ __

1) Deadline to Submit Your Presentation Title and Short Summary for Consideration for Presentation: *18 March 2019* 11:59 p.m. Hawaii Time____

Notification of Acceptance: 25 March 2019____

If you have visa or other time-sensitive concerns, please submit your work as quickly as possible and email conference [at] ppdd [dot] org to request an expedited review so you can receive notification shortly after submission.____

__ __

Before we can address the digital divide, we must first understand the nature of life in the digital age, the many challenges and opportunities it presents, and the interplay of influence between technological and social change. Then, in turn, we can fully understand digital inequality; its place alongside other long-standing, persistent issues of social equity, social justice, and media justice; and what it means to be disconnected from the most important technological advancement in communication in a generation and the myriad possibilities it facilitates. Thus, PPDD 2019 invites work that informs issues related to information and communication technologies (ICTs) and the digital divide broadly defined, including but not limited to:____

- gaps in access and connectivity____

- digital inclusion____

- digital exclusion____

- digital (dis)engagement____

- challenges and opportunities____

- social and cultural aspects of the divide____

- the skills and digital/information literacy needed to interpret, understand, and navigate information presented online and the requisite curriculum____

- effective use by individuals and communities____

- the impact of socioeconomic factors on user behavior____

- the role of motivation, attitudes, and interests____

- differences in patterns of usage____

- characteristics and conceptualizations of non-users____

- the ways in which people use the Internet to create content____

- content creation and inequality____

- different forms of capital and power relationships, including in terms of content creation, labor, and ownership____

- the role of theory in understanding ICTs and digital inequality____

- the impact of new and evolving technologies____

- the mobile divide____

- the interplay of influence with mobile technologies____

- human-computer interaction, human factors, and usability____

- social media____

- digital games____

- apps____

- socioeconomic and cultural effects____

- social equity, social and economic justice, and democracy____

- media justice and ICTs____

- the ethics of digital inequality____

- community informatics____

- social informatics____

- urban and regional planning____

- social planning____

- international development____

- indigenous populations____

- children and childhood____

- education____

- ICTs and well-being____

- health____

- disability and accessibility____

- politics, digital government, digital citizenship, smart cities/citizens/government, civic engagement, adoption issues, and (in)equality____

- global citizenship____

- policy discourse____

- law and policy and its impacts, including information/telecommunications policy, net neutrality, open access, open source, copyright, Internet filtering software, and censorship____

- the digital security divide____

- the digital privacy divide____

- big data and inequality____

- organizations and ICTs____

- public access initiatives____

- anchor institutions____

- practitioner-oriented topics considering aspects of design, management, implementation, assessment, collaboration, challenges, problem solution, and opportunities____

- architectural challenges and deployment experiences____

- Internet access cost analyses____

- the application of research to communities, practice, and public and private sector initiatives____

__ __

2) Deadline to Submit a Position Paper for the PPDD 2019 International Conference E-Book: 6 May 2019 11:59 p.m. Hawaii Time____

All PPDD 2019 attendees may submit a position paper and all submissions that follow the guidelines provided at http://www.ppdd.org/conferences/ppdd2019/cfp/ will be included in the PPDD 2019 E-Book.____

__ __

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------____

YOUR PPDD 2019 CONFERENCE LEADERSHIP TEAM____

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------____