Archive for February 2019

[Commlist] CfP: Diaspora, Media and Migration Young Scholars Workshop

Thu Feb 14 22:19:07 GMT 2019

This year’s DMM young scholars’ workshop welcomes acclaimed scholars Prof. dr. Myria Georgiou (London School of Economics and Political Science) and Dr. Donya Alinejad (Utrecht University) at Vrije Universiteit Brussel as part of the Digital Fortress Europe Conference (www.ecreadmm.com <http://www.ecreadmm.com>).

We all know that it is a difficult task to identify, validate and present our main findings and contribution of our research projects as young scholars in the field. Considering the interdisciplinary nature of our field as well as the continuously changing landscape of media and communication technologies, it is crucial for us young researchers to situate our doctoral projects within academic literature and research. This is the reason why this year’s young scholar workshop aims to help ten doctoral researchers who work on the intersections of diaspora, media and migration to find their own voice and make sure that it is heard.

Our one-day long workshop is divided into two parts:

  * Morning session:  Each participant will be given the opportunity to
    present their research project and get feedback. Considering the
    theme of the workshop, the presentations are expected to focus on
    the main findings and respective theoretical and methodological claims.
  * Afternoon session: The afternoon session involves several group
    activities which will focus on the most effective ways to address
    limitations of your research, to present your findings/analysis and
    to think together about the ways in which the research projects are
    relevant and distinctive.
The application process:

It is required that the applicants submit a summary of their research project (between 1500 and  2000 words) by 18 March 2019 to the e-mail address (M.Mevsimler /at/ uu.nl) <mailto:(M.Mevsimler /at/ uu.nl)>.  Summaries should include:

1.An introduction which includes your research topic and research question(s)

2.A brief literature review with your  mains theories/concepts

3.Methodology

4.Your main findings and how these are expected to contribute theoretically, conceptually and/or methodologically

5.Questions/concerns you would like to discuss

6.Full name of the author, institutional and departmental affiliation and contact details

* The PhD workshop is organized by the European Communication Research & Education Association’s (ECREA) Diaspora, Migration & the Media (DMM) section in collaboration with the ECREA’s International & Intercultural Communication (IIC) section. The workshop is organized as part of the Digital Fortress Europe Conference, but please note that acceptance to the young scholars workshop does not guarantee participation to the conference. The workshop will take place on the day before the conference specifically for PhD candidates as a separate event at Vrije Universiteit Brussel.

**There is no admission fee. Coffee and tea will be provided.

***The abstracts should be submitted in MS word file. Please indicate the name of the workshop in your e-mail subject. You should receive the notification of acceptance by 29 April 2019.

Please do not hesitate to contact the organisers if you have any further questions:

Melis Mevsimler, Utrecht University, ECREA DMM young scholars representative ((M.Mevsimler /at/ uu.nl) <mailto:(M.Mevsimler /at/ uu.nl)>)

Yazan Badran, Vrije Universiteit Brussel ((Yazan.Badran /at/ vub.be) <mailto:(Yazan.Badran /at/ vub.be)>)