Archive for February 2019

[Commlist] cfp - 12th Central and Eastern European Communication and Media Conference 2019

Fri Feb 08 22:17:15 GMT 2019

*CALL FOR PAPERS: 12th Central and Eastern European Communication and Media Conference 2019*

**

*Communication Management: Theory and Practice in the 21st Century 2019*

*PANEL: The Mediatization of Emotions*

*19^th & 21^th June 2019*

* Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication at the Sofia University, St. Kliment Ohridski, Bulgaria*

Coordinators:

Dr Giovanni Boccia Artieri, IT University of Urbino, Marche, Italy
Dr Gevisa La Rocca, IT University of Enna, Sicily, IT

The mediatization of emotions is crucial point today. In fact, several scholars, in recent years, have questioned what should be understood by mediatization and whether it is a new paradigm, a meta-process (Krotz, 2009), a cultural phenomenon. Lunt and Livingstone (2015) are questioned about this, discussing the work of numerous other scholars who have dealt with this topic, such as Schulz (2004), Hjarvard (2008), Hepp (2012), Deacon and Stanyer (2014, 2015), Hepp, Hjarvard, Lundby (2015), and so on.

As Lunt and Livingstone (2015) note, in reality, if today we search for #mediatization, we discover that under this umbrella we have already collected several media studies, linked to a mediatization of politics, education, the family, of sport, law, work, etc.

Whether we consider it as a paradigm, a meta-process, a cultural phenomenon, it is now here to stay.

Being still a multiform magma, it has not yet consolidated into a paradigm (Kuhn, 1962), but it should be considered as a sensitizing concept (Blumer, 1954), an undefined concept, which gives the user a general sense of reference and guidance in approaching empirical instances.

Thus we stand for the question of mediatization as opening up an enablihing and flexible research framework.

Within this research framework we want to record the phenomenon of the mediatization of emotions, to understand if it is a true globally mediatized emotional exchange, or just an externalization of emotions in social media that are now emotional media (Tettegah, 2016) ), where emotions are collected under the hashtags (Papacharissi, 2014, 2015).

Like Döveling et al. (2018) write, understand this complex spectrum ofmediatized emotions becomes highly relevant, as some studies have already shown, because this happens for political campaigns, terrorist attacks, natural disasters, and celebrity death.

But in all these cases it is an expression of new emotions, of cultural practices (McCarthy, 1994), of affective publics (Papacharissi, 2016), of digital affecte cultures (Döveling et al., 2018), of freedom of speech or hate speech? And in what way are they different from a traditional (offline) expression of emotions?

We invite abstracts of no more than 250 words for papers that address
any aspect of mediatization of emotinons.

We encourage two lines of analysis:

- a theoretical one, aimed at clarifying whether the mediatization of emotions is a new cultural practice or if it is in continuity with the past; if it is a habitus (Bourdieu, 1972); an affordance of social media; and which are and why the most suitable research tools to analyze it; and what are the consequences for media studies;

- an empirical one, aimed at exploring the externalization of emotions in different contexts in which there is an interconnection between media and social life, social processes, cultures and the everyday, which covers various topics (i.e. advertising, politics, immigration, environment, death,

etc.). In the empirical analysis it is necessary to poin out whether it is a matter of positive and negative emotions prevailing, looking for the reasons.

Please send any abstracts using: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JhS8JUi8aQRaL1JkiBQgyPxakMipLeb1dfar6uDabr8/viewform?edit_requested=true < ttps://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JhS8JUi8aQRaL1JkiBQgyPxakMipLeb1dfar6uDabr8/viewform?edit_requested=true <http://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JhS8JUi8aQRaL1JkiBQgyPxakMipLeb1dfar6uDabr8/viewform?edit_requested=true> > by *11^th February, 2019.*

You can join the discussion about the event on Facebook using https://www.facebook.com/CEECOM2019/ or visit _http://ceecom2019.eu/
<http://ceecom2019.eu/>_