Archive for November 2017

[ecrea] CFP from Teaching Media Quarterly: Teaching Intersectionality and Media

Tue Nov 28 01:40:19 GMT 2017

From Caroline Bayne <(bayne016 /at/ UMN.EDU)>

Call for Lesson Plans:

Teaching Intersectionality and Media

/Teaching Media Quarterly/ is interested in how instructors teach the concept of intersectionality as an analytical tool for understanding media images, messages, platforms, production, fandom, audiences, etc. Additionally, we are interested in the ways instructors engage critically with media to assist students’ understanding of intersectionality and their examination of their own positionality.

Intersectionality is a term coined by Critical Race theorist, KimberléCrenshaw and has been employed and expanded on by other prominent feminists of color like Patricia Hill Collins and bell hooks. Intersectionality insists that we examine relations of power and oppression through a lens that acknowledges the various aspects of social identities that work together to establish or intensify relations of inequality. Intersectionality calls for reflexivity and awareness of our own social positions. In the context of analyzing media, it encourages an interrogation of media that acknowledges the intersecting gender, class, and racial dimensions of media representations, or what Hill Collins calls “controlling images.” Scholars and students of media studies may also use it to understand other cultural phenomena such as sexualization in media content or participation in online spaces. Overall, intersectionality is an important concept for thinking critically about various aspects of our media culture.

We are interested in lesson plans that are informed by, but not limited to, the following questions:

·How does intersectionality illuminate racial and class specificities in representations of masculinity, femininity, sexuality, etc.?

·How can intersectionality be used as a lens for understanding audiences?

·How can intersectionality be used to understand media history?

·How do the evolving media systems and platforms create or limit the space for intersectional cultural critiques?

·How can we use intersectionality to interrogate the production and political economy of media?

·How can we engage with intersectionality through media production or participation in mediated spaces?

·How can intersectionality inform media research methods?

Submission Deadline: December 1, 2017