Archive for August 2017

[ecrea] new book: Transnational Homosexuals in Communist Poland

Thu Aug 31 15:15:55 GMT 2017

Transnational Homosexuals in Communist Poland

Cross-Border Flows in Gay and Lesbian Magazines

The book has been endorsed by key scholars in media studies (Larry Gross), history (Dagmar Herzog) as well as sociology (Ken Plummer, Jan Willem Duyvendak). You can find more information about the book below and here: https://www.palgrave.com/gb/book/9783319589008.

I also encourage you to visit the book’s website www.transnationalhomosexuals.pl <http://www.transnationalhomosexuals.pl> where you can find primary and secondary sources I used in this project, including

- video-recorded interviews with Polish gay and lesbian activists (with English subtitles)

- sample issues of the analysed magazines

- articles on homosexuality published in Polish mainstream media in the 1980s

For questions and collaborations do not hesitate to contact me at (l.szulc /at/ lse.ac.uk) <mailto:(l.szulc /at/ lse.ac.uk)>.

ABSTRACT

This book traces the fascinating history of the first Polish gay and lesbian magazines to explore the globalization of LGBT identities and politics in Central and Eastern Europe during the twilight years of the Cold War. It details the emergence of homosexual movement and charts cross-border flows of cultural products, identity paradigms and activism models in communist Poland. The work demonstrates that Polish homosexual activists were not locked behind the Iron Curtain, but actively participated in the transnational construction of homosexuality. Their magazines were largely influenced by Western magazines: used similar words, discussed similar topics or simply translated Western texts and reproduced Western images. However, the imported ideas were not just copied but selectively adopted as well as strategically and creatively adapted in the Polish magazines so their authors could construct their own unique identities and build their own original politics.

CONTENT

1. Introduction: A Sexual Cold War and Its Myths

PART I: Global, Eastern and Polish Homosexuals

2. Globalization of LGBT Identities and Politics

3. Homosexuality in the Eastern Bloc

4. Homosexual Activism in Communist Poland

PART II: Transnationalism in Gay and Lesbian Magazines

5. Polish Gay and Lesbian Magazines

6. (Re)constructing Identities

7. (Re)building Politics

8. Conclusion