Archive for August 2017

[ecrea] New book out: Social media and European politics

Thu Aug 17 16:20:56 GMT 2017

    We are happy to share with you the publication of our edited volume
    on *Social media and European politics *(2017, Palgrave Macmillan).

    With contributions from several established and up-and-coming
    scholars, our book investigates the role of social media in European
    politics in changing the focus, frames and actors of public
    discourse around the EU decision-making process. Throughout the
    collection, the contributors test the hypothesis that the internet
    and social media are promoting a structural transformation of
    European public spheres which goes well beyond previously known
    processes of mediatisation  of EU politics. This transformation
    addresses more fundamental challenges in terms of changing power
    relations, through processes of active citizen empowerment and
    exertion of digitally networked counter-power by civil society, news
    media, and political actors, as well as rising contestation of
    representative legitimacy of the EU institutions. /Social Media and
    European Politics/ offers a comprehensive approach to the analysis
    of political agency and social media in European Union politics, by
    bringing together scholarly works from the fields of public sphere
    theory, digital media, political networks, journalism studies,
    euroscepticism, political activism and social movements, political
    parties and election campaigning, public opinion and audience studies.

    Our book is available in hardback and e-book versions, and it is
    also possible to purchase individual chapters. For more information
    and to order a copy, please visit

http://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9781137598899#otherversion=9781137598905

<http://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9781137598899#otherversion=9781137598905>

    Asimina Michailidou and Mauro Barisione, editors