Archive for August 2017

[ecrea] New book: Transborder Media Spaces

Fri Aug 04 06:48:02 GMT 2017

New book
TRANSBORDER MEDIA SPACES. Ayuujk
Videomaking between Mexico and the US. Oxford/New York: Berghahn.

Transborder Media Spaces offers a new perspective on how media forms like
photography, video, radio, television, and the Internet have been
appropriated by Mexican indigenous people in the light of transnational
migration and ethnopolitical movements. In producing and consuming
self-determined media genres, actors in Tamazulapam Mixe and its diaspora
community in Los Angeles open up media spaces and seek to forge more equal
relations both within Mexico and beyond its borders. It is within these
spaces that Ayuujk people carve out their own, at times conflicting,
visions of development, modernity, gender, and what it means to be
indigenous in the twenty-first century.

“This important book is a welcome contribution to anthropological studies
of media and should be carefully examined by scholars and students
interested in indigenous media, film production as a technology of
knowledge, and audiovisual decolonization.” · Ulla D. Berg, Rutgers
University

“Written in an engaging and accessible style, this thoughtful, nuanced
book offers a crucial intervention that reshapes the way we think about
indigenous media in the Mexican context. This is a compelling work about
indigenous transnational migration and low-budget media in the
techno-globalized world.” · Freya Schiwy, University of California,
Riverside

Ingrid Kummels is Professor of Cultural and Social Anthropology at the
Freie Universität Berlin. She has conducted long-term ethnographic
research in Mexico, Cuba, Peru and the United States, produced several
documentaries and co-edited the volume Photography in Latin America.
Images and Identities Across Time and Space (Bielefeld: transcript, 2016).

See http://www.berghahnbooks.com/title/KummelsTransborder, where the
Introduction can be downloaded. I apologize for the price of the hardcover
book. Most parts can, however, be viewed at https://books.google.de/books
and I hope that a softcover will be published soon.

Chapters include:
Chapter 1. Tamazulapam – Los Angeles: Media Fields of a Transnational
Ayuujk Village
Chapter 2. Ayuujk Audiovisuality Today: Generating Media Spaces through
Practices
Chapter 3. Mediatization and “Our Own” Spaces for Development
Chapter 4. Communal and Commercial Audiovisuality and Their Transnational
Expansion
Chapter 5. Tama’s Media Fields and the Pan-American Indigenous Movement
Conclusion: Media Spaces of an ‘Indigenous’ Community—Comunalidad on the Move