Archive for June 2017

[ecrea] Gender and the Everyday Conference

Wed Jun 07 15:48:25 GMT 2017

*Gender and the Everyday: Contemporary Communication, Culture and Media *

Friday, 29th September 2017 <http://airmail.calendar/2017-09-29%2012:00:00%20AWST>
Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia
9am to 4.30pm <http://airmail.calendar/2017-06-07%2009:00:00%20AWST> (followed by informal drinks)

Communication, culture and media are embedded in our everyday lives in ways we often do not realise. Whether we wake up and reach for our phone or think carefully about how to phrase that difficult sentence in an email these multiple forms of communication, culture and media are embedded in our everyday. Similarly, as children we are given a gender designation that affects our lives in innumerable everyday ways from toys, to sports, to conceptions of self and a sense of the choices available to us: our gender inflects our everyday experiences and engagements with our bodies and those around us, especially as we manoeuvre public and private spaces. In this conference, we invite research that draws attention to the intersections between gender, the everyday and the forms of communication, culture and media we engage in.

Inspired by recent activisms around gender that protest significant social, political and economic inequalities, for this Gender and the Everyday Conference, we invite papers on the familiar, intimate and the banal as well as the public and political, discussions of current events and controversies as well as lingering issues. We invite papers on a range of topics including, but not limited to:

• Representation(s), Genre, Form

• Organisational, local, national, international and/or global contexts

• Historical, social or cultural perspectives

• Theoretical, conceptual or methodological approaches

• Generation, youth and/or ageing

• Pedagogical approaches including teaching case studies

• Places, spaces and sites

• Activism, activists and interventions

• Sport, fitness, health and/or well-being

• Digital media and technology

• Troubling gender

Delegates will have the opportunity to submit a written version of their paper after the conference for possible inclusion in a special issue of Outskirts journal (http://www.outskirts.arts.uwa.edu.au <http://www.outskirts.arts.uwa.edu.au/>).

Email your abstract of no more than 250 words including a title and a 50-word biography to: (waccmlist /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(waccmlist /at/ gmail.com)> by Friday June 30th, 2017 <http://airmail.calendar/2017-06-30%2012:00:00%20AWST>.

Panel proposals inclusive of 3-4 papers that share a similar theme are especially welcome.

Accepted individual papers will be allocated a 20-minute presentation slot in the conference.

Conference location: Murdoch University, South Street, Murdoch, Western Australia
Contact/enquiries: (waccmlist /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(waccmlist /at/ gmail.com)>
WACCM Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WACCM/