Archive for June 2017

[ecrea] Volume 7 Screenworks: Mark Chapman's Camrex

Sun Jun 04 08:33:18 GMT 2017

We are delighted to publish the fourth work of Volume 7, Mark Chapman’s Camrex – an unflinching documentary about Camrex House, a homeless hostel in Sunderland for men with complex histories and untold stories. Drawing on harrowing interviews with hostel residents, Camrex constructs a series of starkly observed portraits both of the men who live there, struggling to come to terms with the past, and of the ghostly hostel itself. A searing portrait of masculinity in the age of austerity, the film’s unapologetic avoidance of the talking head enables a poetic cross-cutting between the textures of the crumbling building and the bodies of the residents themselves. The research statement is exemplary.
http://screenworks.org.uk/archive/volume-7

Screenworks is a rolling publication, which means we publish as soon as contributions have been reviewed. We have several submissions in process so watch this space as new work will be published shortly. We are still accepting open submissions here: http://screenworks.org.uk//submisssions/ We also have an open call for a Special Edition on the theme of Digital Ecologies and the Anthropocene.
http://screenworks.org.uk/call-for-practice-screenworks-special-issue-digital-ecologies-and-the-anthropocene

If you are interested in submitting your practice and want further advice, then please contact us on (admin /at/ screenworks.org.uk) with “Submissions” in the subject line.