Archive for June 2017

[ecrea] Fan Studies Network Conference 2017: Registration deadline approaching

Fri Jun 02 14:41:18 GMT 2017

Just a quick reminder that registration for this year's Fan Studies Network conference is open for just *one more week (Friday 9th June 2017)*.

Please direct any queries to (fsnconference /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(fsnconference /at/ gmail.com)>

Full details (including the registration link) can be found below...

---

*The Fan Studies Network Conference 2017 *
*24th-25th June 2017*
*Centre for Participatory Culture,*
*University of Huddersfield, UK*

*Keynote Speaker: Dr. Louisa Stein (Middlebury College, USA) *
*Plenary Address: Professor Matt Hills (University of Huddersfield, UK)*

The fifth anniversary of the annual Fan Studies Network Conference is visiting the University of Huddersfield for a vibrant two-day programme during June 2017. The conference will celebrate and continue FSN's proud tradition of offering an enthusiastic space for interdisciplinary researchers at all levels to connect, share resources, and further develop their research ideas. In addition to panel presentations, the two days will feature social events (including our regular fan studies quiz, plus this year our fifth birthday party!), speed geeking, and workshop discussions.

We are delighted to welcome Dr Louisa Stein as the keynote speaker for FSN2017. Louisa is Assistant Professor of Film and Media Culture at Middlebury College, where she teaches classes on remix culture, spectatorship, YouTube, and gender and sexuality in media. Louisa is author of /Millennial Fandom: Television Audiences in the Transmedia Age/ (2015), and co-editor of /Sherlock and Transmedia Fandom/ (2012) and /Teen Television: Programming and Fandom/ (2008).

The event will also feature a plenary address from Professor Matt Hills, who, due to being the keynote of the first ever FSN conference, will reflect on the past five years of the network and the fan studies field. Matt is Professor of Media and Journalism at the University of Huddersfield, where he is co-director of the Centre for Participatory Culture. He has written six sole-authored research monographs, starting with the influential /Fan Cultures/ in 2002 and most recently with /Doctor Who: The Unfolding Event/ in 2015, as well as publishing more than a hundred book chapters and journal articles in the areas of media fandom, cult film/TV and audiences in the digital era.

FSN2017 is sponsored by the Centre for Participatory Culture at the University of Huddersfield, which will have its official launch the day before our conference. Attendees of FSN2017 will be able to attend the centre launch for free.

Registration is now open here, until 9th June:
http://www.store.hud.ac.uk/product-catalogue/conferences/music-conference/fan-studies-network-conference-university-of-huddersfield-24th25th-june-2017 <http://www.store.hud.ac.uk/product-catalogue/conferences/music-conference/fan-studies-network-conference-university-of-huddersfield-24th25th-june-2017>

The draft programme is available here:
https://fanstudies.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/fsn-2017-abridged-draft-programme1.pdf <https://fanstudies.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/fsn-2017-abridged-draft-programme1.pdf>

Finally, details of our social events, as well as useful information on travel and accommodation options, can be found here: https://fanstudies.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/fsn2017-useful-information.pdf <https://fanstudies.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/fsn2017-useful-information.pdf>

You can join the discussion about the event on Twitter using #FSN2017, visit www.fanstudies.org <http://www.fanstudies.org/>, and email us at (fsnconference /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(fsnconference /at/ gmail.com)>

We hope you can join us in Huddersfield this June for an exciting few days of fan studies scholarship.