Archive for December 2016

[ecrea] Research assistant required: trade unions and the internet

Thu Dec 08 08:51:05 GMT 2016

*_Research Assistant for Project at London School of Economics Required_*

*__*

*_Trade unions, their members and the internet_*

*__*

Funded by Unions21 and run by the Department of Media and Communications via LSE Enterprise at the London School of Economics, this mixed method project will seek to understand how trade unions and their members use new communication technologies to engage in communication, service provision and campaigning.

We are looking for a research assistant to co-ordinate this project. The individual hired for this role will be comfortable working with both survey and qualitative methods, as well as training and leading a team of interns from across the trade union movement, recruited by Unions21.

*Skills and requirements*

The project involves several methods, so the research assistant will need to feel comfortable undertaking:

-Online survey design for a questionnaire to be circulated among the membership of Unions21’s affiliated unions. In addition, the research assistant will need to be able to analyze the results of this survey.

-Qualitative elite in-depth interview design and thematic analysis.

-Designing a website content analysis to categories the features on the websites of Union21’s affiliates.

-In addition, since the in-depth interviews and website content analysis will be carried out by interns recruited by Unions21, the Research Assistant will need to feel comfortable providing training and support in these areas.

-This project will also provide opportunities for co-authorship of article outputs, blog entry and knowledge exchange publications.

Given the demands of the project, we are ideally looking for someone either with or working towards a PhD, and certainly with a formal grounding in social science research methods.

*Hours and salary*

**

You will be contracted via LSE Enterprise, for approximately three months. The total remuneration for the project will be £2600.00. We estimate the work will take somewhere around 130 hours over this period.

*Application process and time frame*

**

To apply for this role, please email a cover letter outlining suitability for the position (including possible referees) and a CV to (n.m.anstead /at/ lse.ac.uk).

Closing date for applications is Friday 16^th December. We are hoping the Research Assistant will be able to start working in the new year. This project is due for completion on 31^st March.

—