Archive for September 2016

[ecrea] CFP: One day-colloquium on 'Discourse: Multidisciplinary Perspectives'

Mon Sep 19 18:04:59 GMT 2016

One day-colloquium on*'Discourse: Multidisciplinary Perspectives'*
*University of Sussex, Friday 18^th November 2016*(Please note the change of date)
Call for papers
The English Language & Linguistics group at the University of Sussex is organizing a one-day colloquium on*'Discourse: Multidisciplinary Perspectives'*. We invite papers from the full range of disciplines that use discourse analysis, such as literature, media studies, anthropology, history, linguistics, politics, psychology, gender studies, medicine, education, literature and more. The sub-topic of the colloquium is *‘Reflections on Representation, Identity and/or (Non)Belonging'*, which we encourage participants to interpret in the broadest sense. As such, we welcome both illustrative research papers detailing discourse analyses on the topic/s, as well as position papers which help show how representation, identity and (non)belonging are understood from a discourse perspective within your particular discipline. Various perspectives are encouraged and some themes which have emerged from discussions with colleagues across disciplines include:
· representation of public/political figures or groups in the media,
· patients’ self-accounts in medicine/psychology,
· defendants’ self-presentations in criminology/law,
· negotiation of self-identity in the classroom in sociology/education or representation of values in public and/or educational texts · identity construction in oral/written memories of war veterans and/or historical crucial moments in oral history
and much more.
We hope that the event will lead to greater understanding of how discourse is conceptualised and approached across disciplines and reveal opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration. Depending on interest, we also envisage a selection of papers being published in a special issue of CADAAD Journal (Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines). If you are interested in contributing a paper, please send a 300 word abstract to Roberta Piazza ((r.piazza /at/ sussex.ac.uk) <https://exchange.sussex.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?REF=YwbbJKTtk5FCGRNrr-RQegJnEOpmKKuFpZSE08fxxkV_o-wvQ6rTCAFtYWlsdG86ci5waWF6emFAc3Vzc2V4LmFjLnVr>) by September 30th 2016