Archive for May 2016

[ecrea] CFP: Hidden Cameras

Fri May 27 22:51:28 GMT 2016

On October 13-16, 2016 the Broadcast Education Association will be holding their first annual Fall Super-Regional Conference at the University of South Carolina in Columbia. This three-day conference will feature professional and academic training workshops, topical and timely panel discussions, and competitions for both scholarly research and creative works.

I would like to organize a panel on hidden cameras for this conference. I am starting with this as a general topic and looking for papers that will address it from any angle. You could think about them strictly in terms of the technological changes that are making them possible. You could take a legal angle and discuss how the law needs to evolve for this issue. You could also think about them as tools in journalism, as they were used in the Food Lion case when reporters took jobs at a grocery store to catch unsanitary practices there. I would be interested in any and all approaches to the topic.

The paper I’m working on for this panel is called Sting and Stunt: Recent Uses of Hidden Cameras as Political Tools. There have been a number of incidents where people have employed hidden cameras to capture political opponents engaged in misdeeds or as part of a plan to induce opponents into misdeeds and catch it on camera. The most high-profile examples are Mitt Romney’s 47% speech in 2012, anti-abortion activists using hidden cameras in conversations with Planned Parenthood employees, and conservative activist James O’Keefe using them in publicity stunts aimed at capturing liberal groups in compromised positions. I will be discussing these and other examples and the (mostly negative) effect they will have on American politics.

If you’re interested, please send an abstract by June 5 to (robert.spicer /at/ millersville.edu).