Archive for May 2016

[ecrea] New book on the politics of knowledge - Pirate Philosophy: For a Digital Posthumanities

Wed May 18 21:54:04 GMT 2016

With the usual apologies for self-promotion, I wanted to let you know that my new book, /Pirate Philosophy/, has just been published by MIT Press. I hope it may be of interest to some of you as it discusses many of the issues that frequently feature on this and other lists – and in our disciplinary discussions more broadly:

·the politics of theory in neoliberal times

·the value invested in the ‘author’, the ‘book’ and copyright

·the relationship between piracy, open access and ‘traditional’ publishers – and the decisions we make about our publication venues

·the promises and failures of digitisation

·possible solutions to, and ways out of, the current economic crisis – which is also a crisis of knowledge and the university as such.

I've provided an overview below.

Best, Gary

-----
/Pirate Philosophy: For a Digital Posthumanities/ by Gary Hall

Leonardo Book Series, MIT Press 2016

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/pirate-philosophy

Overview

In /Pirate Philosophy/, Gary Hall considers whether the fight against the neoliberal corporatization of higher education in fact requires scholars to transform their own lives and labor. Is there a way for philosophers and theorists to act not just /for/ or /with/ the antiausterity and student protestors—“graduates without a future”—but in terms of their political struggles? Engaging with a range of post-theory theorists operating in some of the most exciting areas of the humanities today— including Lev Manovich (the digital humanities), Rosi Braidotti (new materialism), Bernard Stiegler (posthumanism), and Graham Harman (object-oriented ontology)—/Pirate Philosophy/ explores how those in academia can move beyond finding new ways of /thinking/ about the world to find instead new ways of /being /philosophers and theorists in the world.

Hall describes the politics of online sharing, the battles against the current intellectual property regime, and the actions of Aaaaarg, Anonymous, Aaron Swartz, and others, and he explains Creative Commons and the open access, free software, peer-to-peer file sharing and anticopyright/pro-piracy movements. But in the heart of the book he considers how, when it comes to ways of creating, performing, and sharing knowledge, philosophers and theorists can challenge not just the neoliberal model of the entrepreneurial academic but also the traditional humanist model with its received ideas of proprietorial authorship, the book, originality, fixity, and the finished object. In other words, can scholars and students today become something like pirate philosophers?

CONTENTS

PREFACE - available online:

<http://garyhall.squarespace.com/journal/2016/5/10/new-book-pirate-philosophy.html>http://garyhall.squarespace.com/journal/2016/5/10/new-book-pirate-philosophy.html

1: THE COMMONS AND COMMUNITY

How We Remain Modern

2: THE HUMANITIES

There Are No Digital Humanities

3: THE HUMAN

#MySubjectivation

4: THE POSTHUMAN

What Are the Digital Posthumanities?

5: COPYRIGHT AND PIRACY

Pirate Radical Philosophy

6: THE FUTURE OF THE BOOK

The Unbound Book

--
Gary Hall
Research Professor of Media and Performing Arts

Websitehttp://www.garyhall.info