Archive for May 2016

[ecrea] 12th Irish Screen Seminar

Thu May 05 21:41:31 GMT 2016

12^th Irish Screen Seminar Series hosted by the School of Communications, Dublin City University

Wednesday May 11^th 2016 - Admission Free

Room C114, Henry Grattan Building, Dublin City University, Glasnevin, Dublin 9.

Keynote Speaker – Dr Catherine Grant (Sussex) - ‘Dissolves of Passion’: Materially Thinking through Editing in Videographic Compilation

9.30-11.00am Screen: migration, policy, and practice

Panel 1 – Chair Dr Cormac Deane (IADT Dun Laoghaire)

Cormac Mc Garry (NUI Galway) Comic books in the digital age: the great screen migration?

Maria O’Brien (DCU) Video games in the 2013 Cinema Communication negotiations: A political economic perspective

Paul O’Neill (DCU) Practice what we preach: An analysis of tactical media as a form of networked art practice.

11.15-12.45pm Gender, Sexuality and Representation.

Panel 2 – Chair Dr Niamh Thornton (Liverpool)

Dr Aaron Hunter (Maynooth) Designing Authorship: Polly Platt’s Contributions to the Early Films of Peter Bogdanovich

John Moran (DCU) - Beyond Pornification and Sexualisation: Re-Theorising Sexual Representation in Popular Film

Dr Abigail Keating (Cork)Framing Intimacy in Todd Haynes's /Carol/

Lunch 12.45-1.30pm

1.30-3.00pm The Audiovisual Essay

Panel 3 – Chair Dr Catherine Grant (Sussex)

Tony Patrickson (Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology) Visual Elucidation in Videographic Studies

Liam Hanlon (DCU) The Manic Pixie Dream Girl

Jamie Hooper (DCU) Alchemy and /Dr Who/

Warren Callanan (DCU) /Ex Machina/ and German Expressionism

Paul Kelly (DCU) The Cinema of Attractions

3.15-4.45 Ireland On Screen

Panel 4 – Chair Dr Liz Greene (DCU)

Loretta Goff (Cork) - Express Shipping Ireland Straight to American TV’S/DVD’s**

Denis Murphy (DCU) - It Came to Connemara: Roger Corman and the Irish Film industry**

Deirdre Molumby (Trinity College Dublin) - Urban Spatial Practise in Donal Foreman’s /Out of Here/ (2014)

5.15-6.30

KEYNOTE Dr Catherine Grant (Sussex) - ‘Dissolves of Passion’: Materially Thinking through Editing in Videographic Compilation

In this lecture, I will attempt to tell the story of a video essay from beginning to end, to try to re-create its creation, to understand its collective and contingent origins as well as its particular forms of material thinking. This kind of practice-led research knows not what it thinks before it begins; it is a coming to knowledge that is ‘not the awareness of a mind that holds itself aloof from the messy, hands-on business of work’, as Tim Ingold writes (following Heidegger), but, rather, ‘immanent in practical, perceptual activity’. The video essay in question is ‘Dissolves of Passion: A Film Within a Film’, an eight-minute-long compilation of slowed down versions of all of the dissolves (or fading in and out, superimposed shots) that I could locate in and extract from David Lean’s 1945 movie /Brief Encounter/ (U.K.) in the order in which they appear in that film. With its procedures largely predetermined by these basic formal, chronological and ‘completist’ aims, the kind of audio-visual assemblage I made may not sound like either the most critical, or the most creative, of film scholarly activities. But in my experience, such parameter-based videographic explorations of elements of filmmaking can turn out to be a compelling methodology for academic research projects. In this case, the chosen parameter was one that drew on existing ‘found footage’ traditions of compilation filmmaking as well as on film and moving image scholarship. The resultant video is distinctly derivative—indeed, it is a useful ‘limit case’ in unoriginal creativity. But through its transformative re-workings, I was able to make some discoveries about the material at the same time as framing a particular audio-visual experience of it.

Directions to venue – Room C114 is on Level 1 of the Henry Grattan Building on the Glasnevin Campus of Dublin City University -

Here is a large map of the DCU campuses -

http://www.dcu.ie/info/get_to.shtml

and here is a more precise map of the Glasnevin campus -

http://www.dcu.ie/info/campus.shtml

To get here using public transport the following bus routes serve the Glasnevin campus - http://www.dcu.ie/info/public_transport.shtml

The number 44 bus goes from O’Connell Street and the terminus is on the Glasnevin campus beside the Helix, which is next to the Henry Grattan Building, where the event will take place.

We would urge those presenting to bring their own laptop and adaptors. A VGA cable for projection and sound equipment will be provided.

If you would like to join us for dinner we have booked The Cedar Tree, St Andrew’s Street, Dublin 2, for 8pm on Wednesday evening after the keynote lecture.

Dr Liz Greene
School of Communications,
Dublin City University,
Ireland.