Archive for February 2016

[ecrea] book "Deliberation and Democracy: Innovative Processes and Institutions"

Wed Feb 24 22:01:36 GMT 2016

It is my pleasure to share with you the information that a new book (a collaborative work of 24 authors) entitled
"Deliberation and Democracy: Innovative Processes and Institutions"
was published by the Peter Lang Publishing at the end of 2015.

Editors: Stephen Coleman, Anna Przybylska, Yves Sintomer.
Authors: André Bächtiger, Kees Brants, Stephen Coleman, James S. Fishkin, John Gastil, Thomas Gautschi, Borbála Göncz, Katherine R. Knobloch, György Lengyel, Giles Moss, Claus Offe, Seraina Pedrini, Anna Przybylska, Tyrone Reitman, Tatsuro Sakano, Yves Sintomer, Alice Siu, Marco R. Steenbergen, Jürg Steiner, Éva Vépy-Schlemmer, Elżbieta Wesołowska, Fan Yang, Marcin Zgiep, Weiyu Zhang.

A brief information about the book:
As our experience regarding the practice of deliberation grows, the position from which we evaluate it, and the criteria of this evaluation, change. This book presents a synthesis of some recent research that has brought detailed and robust results. Its first section concerns contemporary challenges and new approaches to the public sphere. The second focuses on the Deliberative Poll as a specific deliberative technique and compares findings emanating from this practice in various political and cultural contexts. The third section addresses the challenge of determining what constitutes deliberative quality. Finally, the last section discusses democratic deliberation and deliberative democracy as they relate to the complex challenges of contemporary politics.

Contents available at:
http://www.peterlang.com/download/toc/77777/toc_264826.pdf
Introduction available at:
http://www.peterlang.com/download/extract/77777/extract_264826.pdf