Archive for February 2016

[ecrea] Film Criticism online

Mon Feb 01 17:52:32 GMT 2016

FILM CRITICISM publishes its 40th volume -- the inaugural online issue

Visit us at http://allegheny.edu/filmcriticism

Dear Colleagues,

The editorial board is pleased to announce that the latest edition of
Film Criticism journal is now online. It features our debut open access
issue devoted to the question: "What is the role of film criticism today?"

About Our New Issue

Our new issue coincides with FC's 40th year of continuous publication.
It also marks a "reboot" for the journal as we transition to open
access. We have invited a mix of established and emerging scholars to
write 500-1000 words on the question: What is the role of film criticism
today -- a time of accelerated change in production, distribution, and
viewing practices?

Articles featured in the new issue include:

"Representations of Arabs, Muslims, and Iranians in an Era of Complex
Characters and Storylines" -- Evelyn Alsultany

"Feminist Film Criticism in the 21st Century" -- Shelley Cobb & Yvonne
Tasker

"The Glare of Images and the Question of Value" -- Timothy Corrigan

"Beyond Tautology? Audio-Visual Film Criticism" -- Catherine Grant

"The Academic Film Blog (2000-2015), A Eulogy" -- Amanda Ann Klein

"Witness, Worker, Mercenary: Race and Labor in the New Culture
Industries" -- Roopali Mukherjee

"GIFs: The Attainable Text" -- Micheal Newman

"The Power of Black Film Criticism" -- Elizabeth Reich

Call for Papers and More About Film Criticism

We are currently seeking high-quality submissions for future issues.
Film Criticism accepts submissions on a continuous rolling basis. You
can find more info on submissions here:
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/f/fc/submit.

Film Criticism is a peer-reviewed publication now entering its 40th year
of continuous publication, making it the third oldest academic film
journal in the United States. Our aim is to bring together scholarship
in the field of film and media studies in order to present the finest
work in this area, foregrounding textual criticism as a primary value.
Our readership is generally academic, but we strive to publish material
that is accessible to undergraduates and a broader popular audience.

While our title suggests a focus on film, we are equally interested in
articles that focus on television, online video and other moving image
platforms, as well as industrial and historical approaches that
foreground textual criticism. FC is also committed to publishing
research that situates media texts in a political context and recognizes
the role culture plays in reproducing and structuring social and power
relations.

For additional information about Film Criticism, please visit:

Website: http://allegheny.edu/filmcriticism

Email: (filmcriticism /at/ allegheny.edu)

Facebook: www.facebook.com/fcjournal