Archive for August 2015

[ecrea] cfp - edited volume on Children’s Cinema and Philosophy

Thu Aug 27 18:02:23 GMT 2015

*CALL FOR Book Chapters proposals
*/
​
Shared Emotions: Children’s World & Cinema
/Editors: Maria Irene Aparício, Ph.D
​ and ​
Dina Mendonça Ph.D
We are opening a call fo​
​ papers for contributions ​to
  an edited volume on Children’s Cinema and Philosophy entitled /Shared
Emotions: Children’s World & Cinema/.
​

he field of Cinema and Philosophy is a growing field of research and it
has been the subject of several thematic volumes both edited and of
monographs. These volumes explore the connection of Philosophy of
Cinema, as well as Cinema as Philosophy and Cinema and Philosophy.
Though these approaches are quite different one can hold them as
complementary intellectual efforts. The proposed volume takes the
connection on a new direction by looking into the way in which we grow
up with cinema. The expression /growing up with cinema/ holds an
ambiguity: growing up with Cinema means that we grow up from childhood
to adolescence, to adulthood and then to the elderly stages to life with
cinema and, in addition, it also means that by seeing movies we learn
and change our way of seeing the world and life and acquire maturity in
the process. This ambiguity makes cinema a privileged ground to think of
different types of development, and not only interpret it as a
pedagogical tool for thinking but also as a crucial tool of growth.
Thus, it is reasonable to see how films are mediums to pass down
knowledge to younger generations while at the same time they format
their epistemological stance. Likewise, movies illustrate and recommend
sets of values while valuing.

Predicted possible topics include “Perception, Knowledge and
Recognition”, “The Meaning of Shared Values”, “Growth, Aggression and
Violence” or “Laughing and Crying at the Cinema”. We welcome approaches
from different philosophical and film theory perspectives, as well as
approaches related to other scientific areas and subjects beyond
philosophy and film theory while holding philosophical and film theory
insights. Also, we hope this volume will not be limited to content of
reflection based on any specific period of Cinema or Philosophy, nor any
specific genre, and hope that the final product will provide a rich
plural perspective of the topic.The volume will be a good contribution
to the Cinema and Philosophy Studies by deepening the pedagogical and
educational meaning of Cinema while it will also contribute to the
reflection on just how Cinema and Philosophy have similarly impact on
attitudes and values.
Submission: Minimum 500-750 words abstracts (without bibliography) by
September 12^th 2015 and a short CV (for each author/co-author) to Dina
Mendonça (mendonca.emotion /at/ gmail.com)
<mailto:(mendonca.emotion /at/ gmail.com)>and Maria Irene Aparício
(aparicio.irene /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(aparicio.irene /at/ gmail.com)>

Please make sure that the argument is clearly stated and that you
indicate in what way it contributes for the topic.
*IMPORTANT DEADLINES AND DATES*
Submission of abstract:
​ ​
Notification of decisions: 30 October 2015
Deadline for Chapters: 14 February 2016
Redraft of Chapters: 30 May 2016
Deadline for Revised Chapters: 31 July 2016
Manuscript Submission Date: 1 September 2016
Publication date: November 2016

Dina Mendonça, Ph.D.

http://www.mendoncaemotion.com <http://www.mendoncaemotion.com/>
http://www.ifl.pt/pages/dina-mendonca
<http://www.ifl.pt/pages/dina-mendonca>
Instituto de Filosofia da Linguagem
http://www.ifl.pt <http://www.ifl.pt/>
Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas
Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Av. de Berna, 26 C
1069-061 Lisboa, Portugal
email: (dmendonca.ifl /at/ fcsh.unl.pt) <mailto:(dmendonca.ifl /at/ fcsh.unl.pt)>
http://www.ifl.pt/index.php?id1=2&id2=29 <http://www.ifl.pt/cvDina.htm>
Maria Irene Aparício, Ph.D.
http://www.ifl.pt/pages/maria-irene-aparicio
<http://www.ifl.pt/pages/maria-irene-aparicio>
Instituto de Filosofia da Linguagem
http://www.ifl.pt <http://www.ifl.pt/>
Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas
Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Av. de Berna, 26 C
1069-061 Lisboa, Portugal
email: (aparicio.irene /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(aparicio.irene /at/ gmail.com)>