Archive for August 2015

[ecrea] Transmedia Earth Network

Mon Aug 24 18:52:34 GMT 2015

*_The Transmedia Earth Network Project_*

_Call for Expressions of Interest_

Dr Matthew Freeman (Bath Spa University) and Dr William Proctor
(Bournemouth University) are currently working on a Research Networking
bid to set up The Transmedia Earth Network (TEN). The aim of the project
is to investigate emergent understandings of the transmedia phenomenon
in international contexts. Much work has been done on transmediality
from the Anglo-American perspective, but what about other countries and
contexts – and how can the transmedia approaches of one country be
harnessed across multiple national borders? In short, /just how
transnational is transmedia/? We are interested in hearing from scholars
around the world about projects that examine different contexts of
transmedia and new media developments as well as interested parties
about industrial shifts in this age of media convergence.

A transmedia project must be understood as a system that adapts itself
for markedly different media platforms and creative sectors. The
Transmedia Earth Network uses as its starting point the assumption that
to better understand how media content can be spread across multiple
platforms, we first need to more fully understand what ‘transmedia’
really means within the context of individual media forms and creative
sectors. The Network then seeks to re-think future transmedia-making
potentials by investigating its current workings across international
production cultures. We aim to examine the operations of transmedia in
different countries and in various media sectors, exploring just how
transnational a practice transmedia could be. In bringing together
academics, filmmakers, transmedia storytellers, business developers and
branding consultants from multiple media sectors such as film,
television, video gaming, publishing, heritage and theatre, TEN adopts a
transnational perspective ultimately to re-think transmedia-making
potentials in the contemporary global media landscape.

As part of the network scheme, we are proposing a range of conferences
that aim to capture a range of issues and objectives. Grouped under the
banner ‘Transmedia Earth,’ we are proposing events that are
medium-specific, but internationally diverse based on the following topics:

Transmedia Novels; Transmedia Cinema; Transmedia Marketing; Transmedia
Television; Transmedia Gaming; Transmedia Theatre; Transmedia Audiences.

We are interested in hearing from scholars working in these areas to
allow the researchers to build a database of interested parties and of
current projects. Please send an overview of your research into
transmedia and your interest in joining the Network to Dr Matthew
Freeman ((m.freeman /at/ bathspa.ac.uk) <mailto:(m.freeman /at/ bathspa.ac.uk)>) and
Dr William Proctor ((bproctor /at/ bournemouth.ac.uk)
<mailto:(bproctor /at/ bournemouth.ac.uk)>).

*Dr Matthew Freeman*

*Senior Lecturer in Media and Communication*
*Director, Media Futures Research Centre*

*Department of Film, Media and Creative Computing*

*Bath Spa University*