Archive for June 2015

[ecrea] new book Lawrence Grossberg: we all want to change the world

Thu Jun 18 17:01:16 GMT 2015

I am sending this email because I have decided to make my new book
available for free online, and I do not know how else to get the news
out but through the internet.  I hope you will download and read the
book,  but I would also ask for your help to spread the word to
everyone.  The book is available in both pdf and epub format at the
Lawrence and Wishart website (and while you are there, you should browse
some of their other really interesting books).  Here is the url:

http://www.lwbooks.co.uk/ebooks/we_all_want_to_change_the_world.html

And here is a description:

In /We all want to change the world/, Lawrence Grossberg continues his
analysis of the changing popular and political cultures—and the
increasingly conservative and intensely capitalist vectors of change—of
the United States during the last fifty years.  This time, however, he
turns his attention from the forces that seem to be defining the success
of those vectors to the counterforces of dissatisfaction, resistance,
opposition and creative alternatives, as a vital part of understanding
what’s going on.  He poses “the paradox of the left:” despite the many
people involved in the great variety of such counterforces, the “left”
seems unable to create a broad, visible and effective movement for change.

Rather than attempting to assign blame, Grossberg considers the state of
the left as both a product and expression of the very context it
struggles against. That context, he suggests, is significantly shaped by
a set of crises of knowledge and critique on the one hand, and a
specific affective organization of pessimism on the other. The result
has been an increasing assertion of both absolute certainty and new
universalisms in both intellectual and political judgments. Somewhere
between a popular polemic and an academic critique, Grossberg argues for
more humble and convivial forms of unities in difference, whether as
intellectual conversations or political movements.