Archive for June 2015

[ecrea] New Book: Advertising Diversity

Tue Jun 09 08:31:02 GMT 2015

I am pleased to announce the publication of my book Advertising Diversity: Ad Agencies and the Creation of Asian American Consumers (Duke University Press). The book is based on ethnographic research I conducted in over ten Asian American Ad agencies as well as six general market ad agencies between 2008 and 2012. It explores the rise and development of Asian American advertising and how this niche segment is represented in ads for broadcast media and public relations. Providing an ethnographic look at the day-to-day work of Asian American advertising as well as the place of this niche in the shifting landscape of an ad world grappling with multiculturalism, it explores how advertising has framed Asian Americans as "model consumers" in ways that legitimate their presence in American popular culture.

For more information please visit https://www.dukeupress.edu/Advertising-Diversity/. To save 30% on the paperback edition, call Duke University Press at 888-651-0122 and use coupon code E15SHNKR.

-
Shalini Shankar
Associate Professor
Interim Director of Graduate Studies, Anthropology
Director, Asian American Studies Program
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL
847-467-1638
@shalini_shankar