Archive for June 2015

[ecrea] call for sessions - Poverty's Causes and Consequences in the Urban Developing World

Tue Jun 02 18:20:59 GMT 2015

CALL FOR SESSIONS

Poverty's Causes and Consequences in the Urban Developing World

August 4–6, 2016

University of Jyväskylä, Finland

The failure of much of the world to meet the first Millennium
Development Goals of eradicating extreme poverty and hunger by 2015
highlights the need for research to go beyond the measuring of poverty
and give more attention to its causes and dynamics.

We invite anthropologists, ethnologists, sociologists, socio-economists,
political scientists and development researchers among others to submit
session proposals for our conference on urban poverty to be held at the
University of Jyväskylä, Finland on August 2–4, 2016. Keynote speakers
will be Harjit Anand, Bipasha Baruah and James Ferguson.

This three-day conference will be aimed at both exploring new
empirically based findings and developing theories on the causes of
poverty, especially urban poverty or poverty at the interface between
the urban and rural. We welcome critical perspectives which pay
attention to the intersection between micro and macro levels of
analysis, including ethnographic methods and local case studies with
relevance for larger issues as well as larger-scale studies with
theoretical implications for micro-level research.

For more information, go to http://povdev.blog.jyu.fi/p/conference-2016.html