Archive for June 2015

[ecrea] Politics, Emotions and Protest- A Participatory Workshop

Tue Jun 02 15:42:09 GMT 2015

Dr Anna Feigenbaum (Bournemouth University) and I are organising a
workshop focusing on Politics, Emotions and Protest, to be held at
Bournemouth University on the 9th and 10th July.

The full description of the event is below:

*Politics, Emotions and Protest- A Participatory Workshop*

*Bournemouth University*

*9-10 July 2015*

Keynote Speakers:

Professor Karin Wahl-Jorgensen, Cardiff University

Professor Barry Richards, Bournemouth University

 From Hong Kong to Kiev, from Ferguson to Madrid, we are living in a
time of global protests. Images of smoke filled streets and cities up in
flames dart around the world, populating news reports and twitter feeds.
Fear, hope, camaraderie, terror, relief, trauma. These protest movements
teem with emotion. Their effects are contagious, their indignation
infectious. They bring with them new cooperative political formations,
as well as new manifestations of fascism and repression. As researchers
wanting to contextually understand these events, many of us find
ourselves inflamed and overwhelmed by proliferating political
commentary, trying to sort through the sensory overload.

What tools, approaches and methods do we need to understand political
uprisings today? How can we make sense of them in relation to broader
struggles for social change? Can we engage in research on uprisings and
protests without falling into blind celebration or armchair critique?
What lies between the big data predictions of future protest events and
the past histories of unrest that remain unwritten or misunderstood?

Critical interventions in Social Movement Studies around emotion
(Jaspers 1998, Flam and King 2005, Goodwin, Jaspers and Poletta 2009),
along with the ‘affective turn’ of the early 2000s (Massumi 2002,
Sedgwick 2003, Breenan 2004, Ahmed 2004, Gregg 2006) have offered a rich
conceptual vocabulary for thinking and talking about the intersections
of politics and emotion. Building on these fields of inquiry, this
workshop seeks to bring people together to address the challenges and
possibilities facing academic engagement with the emotion and politics
of protest and social movements.

We seek participants working through these challenges who are interested
in engaging in collaborative, interdisciplinary dialogues.

This workshop will include insights from keynote speakers and case study
presentations, with dedicated time for collaboration building and a
MeCCSA Social Movement Network Seaside Social to end off the event.

This event is supported by the Bournemouth University Politics & Media
Group, the University of Leicester Media and Democracy Research Group in
the Department of Media and Communication, the MeCCSA Social Movement
Network and the Protest Camps Research Network.

For more information on the workshop please contact Anna
(‎(afeigenbaum /at/ bournemouth.ac.uk)) or me((pr93 /at/ le.ac.uk)).

Please register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/politics-emotion-and-protest-workshop-tickets-14749786007>no
later than the 19 June.

We look forward to seeing you in (hopefully sunny) Bournemouth in July.

Best Wishes

Paul

*Dr Paul Reilly
Lecturer in Media and Communication*

*Deputy Director of Research*

*University Teaching Fellow 2014*

Department of Media and Communication, University of Leicester,

University Road, Leicester, LE1 7JA, UK