Archive for June 2015

[ecrea] Transitions Annual Comics Symposium CFP

Mon Jun 01 14:30:56 GMT 2015

*TRANSITIONS 6 –****New Directions in Comics Studies 2015*

*Symposium – 31**^st **October 2015, Birkbeck, University of London*

*Respondent: Professor Roger Sabin (Central Saint Martins)*

*Keynote by Dr Mel Gibson (University of Northumbria) *

*Call for Papers*

*CFP Deadline: 31**^st **July 2015*

**

*We are pleased to announce the call for papers for the forthcoming
6**^th ****/Transitions /**symposium, promoting new research and
multi-disciplinary academic study of comics/ comix/ manga/ bande
dessinée and other forms of sequential art.*

Part of /Comica/ –/The London International Comics Festival/, this//is
currently the only regular academic comics event based in London.
/Transitions/ is devoted to promoting new research into comics in all
their forms, aiming specifically to provide a forum for research by
postgraduate students and early career lecturers/researchers.

By deliberately not appointing a set theme we hope to put together a
programme reflecting the diversity of comics studies.  We welcome
abstracts for twenty minute papers as well as proposals for panels.

*Possible topics include but are not limited to:*

text-oriented approaches – studies of key creators – historical and
contemporary studies of production and circulation of comics
–readerships and fan cultures – critical reception – formats, platforms
and contexts – the (im)materiality of comics – archival concerns –
formalist/narratological approaches – comics and aesthetics –
adaptation, convergence and remediation – international iterations and
transnational comics – children’s comics – political comics – comics and
cultural theory – ideological/discursive critiques – web comics –

graphic medicine – non-fiction comics – comics as historiography –
comics practice and theory– cultural histories/geographies...

Comics studies encourage cross-disciplinary pollination and a
convergence of distinct knowledges: literary and cultural studies,
visual arts and media, modern languages, sociology, geography and more.
By thinking about comics across different disciplines, we hope to
stimulate and provoke debate and to address a wide spectrum of
questions, to map new trends and provide a space for dialogue and
further collaboration.

**

*Abstracts for twenty minute papers should be no more than 250 - 300
words.****Proposals for papers and panels should be sent as Word
documents, with a short biography appended, and **submitted by the
31**^st **July 2015 to Hallvard, Tony, John and Nina at
****(transitions.symposium /at/ gmail.com)*