Archive for September 2014

[ecrea] communication +1 is pleased to present: Afterlives of Systems

Mon Sep 15 09:41:34 GMT 2014

communication +1 is pleased to present: Afterlives of Systems

* Guest Edited by Florian Sprenger and Christina Vagt *

Under the impression of today’s global crisis and the rise of ecological thinking, confronted with smart, ubiquitous technosystems and the impression of interconnectedness, there appears a new urge to excavate the remnants of the past. The articles of this issue suggest that in order to understand present technologies, we need to account the systems thinking that fostered their emergence, and that we cannot gain insight into the afterlives of systems without exploring their technologies.

The nine contributions ask how these debates and affective states survive and live on in today’s discussions of media ecologies, environmentalism, object-oriented philosophies, computer simulations, performative art, and communication technologies. In this sense, they take the renaissance of systems thinking in the late 20th and early 21st Century as an effect of various system crisis and explore new media technologies as stabilizing ‘cures’ against the dystopian future scenarios that emerged after World War II. The articles of this issue suggest that in order to understand present technologies, we need to account the systems thinking that fostered their emergence, and that we cannot gain insight into the afterlives of systems without exploring their technologies

To the authors we extend our deep gratitude for their contributions. To the readers we extend our invitation for input and suggestions.

The following pages begin a conversation we hope will continue. And it is to those whom have spoken we shall turn.

To access this issue please visit scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/

communication +1 is an open access journal supported by University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries and the Department of Communication

* Editor in Chief: Briankle G. Chang, University of Massachusetts Amherst
* Managing Editor: Zachary J. McDowell, University of Massachusetts Amherst

*Advisory Board*
Kuan-Hsing Chen, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
Bernard Geoghegan, Humboldt-Universität, Germany
Lawrence Grossberg, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
David Gunkel, Northern Illinois University
Catherine Malabou, Kingston University, United Kingdom
Jussi Parikka, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
John Durham Peters, University of Iowa
Johnathan Sterne, McGill University
Ted Striphas, Indiana University
Greg Wise, Arizona State University

*About communication +1:*

The aim of communication +1 is to promote new approaches to and open new horizons in the study of communication from an interdisciplinary perspective. We are particularly committed to promoting research that seeks to constitute new areas of inquiry and to explore new frontiers of theoretical activities linking the study of communication to both established and emerging research programs in the humanities, social sciences, and arts. Other than the commitment to rigorous scholarship, communication +1 sets no specific agenda. Its primary objective is to create is a space for thoughtful experiments and for communicating these experiments.

For more information about the project in general, as well as short pieces, lectures, and interviews, visit communicationplusone.org.