Archive for September 2014

[ecrea] Call for chapters “Migration as human right: public discussion”

Wed Sep 10 13:41:29 GMT 2014

Call for chapters “Migration as human right: public discussion”

Deadline for proposals: 25th October 2014.

Edited by Arzu Sadykhova, Professor of Arabic at Adam Mickiewicz University (Poland)

Brief description

Nowadays culturally entrenched notions about human rights face actual problems and challenges in the consciousness of the Europeans. Public discussion about Syrian refugees shows the liquid character of the borders between global and national ways of thinking and the extent to that the idea of human rights prevails over the current social and economic reasons. Does supporting of human rights mean the undergoing of the national interests or could they be combined?

Massmedia as public sphere actors offer the arena where the social consensus is produced [Ferree et. al.] and where it should to be challenged to be modified [Schulz]. They can also influence attitudes and values [Gerbner] firstly in the case when the audience does not have direct access to the subject or covered problem [K. Newton]. More than 40% of Germans do not contact immigrants (first and second generation) routinely (less than once a month or never) [Schönwälder & Petermann]. People use firstly media as a source for knowledge concerning immigrants and their presence in the modern European social reality and the media may exert far-reaching influence on this part of the audience [Berger & Luckmann].

Questions include, but are not limited to:

* What are the main characteristics of the media coverage in European media concerning human rights (from Syrian refugees in Nordic countries to the Arab citizens in France)? * What arguments are allowed in the public discussion about immigration policy towards 1) refugees 2) labor migration? * To what extent the human rights are used as a basic concept and how they may be challenged or protected?

We are looking to form a proposal for a book with twelve chapters, each chapter being approximately 7000 words including references. This call is for abstracts of between 250 and 350 words (excluding any indicative references), to be emailed to Anna Smoliarova, lecturer, St. Petersburg State University, Russia ((anna.smolyarova /at/ gmail.com)) by 25th October 2014.

As yet we are unable to offer a definitive date for the submission of completed chapters, that will depend on whether or not we gain approval for our proposal, however we are tentatively looking at Spring 2015. For the proposal we are looking to include abstracts for 16 possible chapters, refining that to 12 post approval. The proposal will be sent to Cambridge Scholars Publishing.

Please, don’t hesitate to ask: