[ecrea] new book "Social Movements and Their Technologies"

Thu Nov 07 20:35:49 GMT 2013

I am happy to announce the release of my book Social Movements and Their Technologies. Wiring Social Change (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).

Social Movements and Their Technologies. Wiring Social Change explores the interplay between social movements and their “liberated technologies”. It analyzes the rise of low-power radio stations and radical internet projects (“emancipatory communication practices”) as a political subject, focusing on the sociological and cultural processes at play. It provides an overview of the relationship between social movements and technology and investigates what is behind the communication infrastructure that made possible the main protest events of the past 15 years. In doing so, Stefania Milan illustrates how contemporary social movements organize in order to create autonomous alternatives to communication systems and networks and how they contribute to change the way people communicate in daily life, as well as try to change communication policy from the grassroots.

You can buy the book with a 50% discount when buying through www.palgrave.com, quoting code WSMATT2013a (discount valid for books bought by individuals by January 31, 2014).

You can find out more about the book here: http://stefaniamilan.net/book

Hope you are going to like it!

Stefania

Stefania Milan, PhD
Data J Lab || Tilburg University, the Netherlands || http://datajlab.nl (coming soon!) || The Citizen Lab || Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto || http://citizenlab.org ||
European University Institute || www.protestsurvey.eu/ ||
Center for Media and Communication Studies, Central European University || www.cmcs.ceu.hu || International Association for Media and Communication Research - International Council member and Co-Chair, Task Force on Media and Communication Policy || www.iamcr.org || mobile: [31] 62 7875 425 (NL) || [1] 647 - 973 - 6533 (CA) || [+39] 333 - 2309945 (I) || [36] 3064 - 70445 (H)
http://stefaniamilan.net/