[ecrea] Conference: Encompassing the Multimodality of Knowledge

Wed Oct 23 02:33:49 GMT 2013

Conference
Encompassing the Multimodality of Knowledge
08.05.14-10.05.14
Aarhus, Denmark

Dear Colleagues,

We are happy to announce that the 5th international conference in the 360o series will be held in Aarhus, Denmark May 8th -May 10th 2014. The conference features three key note addresses:

Professor Theo van Leeuwen
Professor Carey Jewitt
Professor David Machin.

As the conference title suggests, we encourage participants to explore and engage the multimodality of knowledge from a wide variety of combined perspectives and disciplines from multimodality to visual anthropology, linguistics, discourse analysis, genre analysis, LSP research, etc.

The catalogue of research questions that forms the point of departure is:

Why do we employ multimodality?

- Do we employ it for the greater good of society?
- Do we employ it for the sake of an -other'?
- Do we employ it for our own sake?
- Do we employ it for the sake of better insights into our object?

What do we communicate?
- Can we employ multimodality when dealing with all kinds of knowledge?
- Should we employ multimodality when dealing with all kinds of knowledge?

How do we employ multimodality?

- How is language (written text and speech) combined with (still and moving) images, sound, music, or/and other semiotic modes in complex texts?
- Are there specific multimodal combinations required in specific contexts?
- Are there specific multimodal combinations required by specific media?
- Do specific modes give us better insights into specific types of knowledge?
- Are specific modes better suited for specific research purposes?

We encourage participants to contribute with papers under one of the below three strands:

*Communication*

Which settings, media, modes, channels and / or what practices enhance our use of multimodal configurations when communicating knowledge?
What interactional parameters influence the multimodal communication of knowledge?
Where do the challenges, paradoxes and dilemmas of multimodal knowledge communication lie?

*Representation*

What combination of modes is suited for representing specific types of knowledge?
What relations exist between methods for analysing knowledge and representing it multimodally?
What specific textual and generic features or certain technologies enhance multimodal representation?
Which cultural, conventional, habitual, or ritualistic elements can enhance multimodal representation?
What research tools are available for coding and representing the meaning-making interplay of several semiotic modes?

*Construction*

What are the distinctive affordances of multimodal phenomena (from singular multimodal texts to multimedia art installations and interactive social events) in constructing knowledge?
Does multimodality enhance or even ensure the construction of knowledge in the -other'?
Where may we locate the motivational triggers for constructing knowledge by means of complex multimodal resources - are they individual, social, discursive, purely cognitive or?

Deadlines:
? 14 January 2014: Abstract submission due
 14 February 2014: Notification of acceptance

For more information please visit the conference web site:http://bcom.au.dk/research/conferencesandlectures/encompassing-the-multimodality-of-knowledge/
On behalf of the organizing committee and the Research Group for Knowledge Communication
Carmen Daniela (Maiercdm /at/ asb.dk)