[ecrea] CFP: Thinking with a Camera during Revolutionary Times

Mon Aug 12 10:53:14 GMT 2013

CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS)
19-23 March 2014
Seattle, Washington, USA
http://cmstudies.org

Paper proposals are sought for the following panel to be submitted
for consideration to the SCMS 2013-14 Program Committee:

WORKING TITLE: Thinking with a Camera during Revolutionary Times:
Generative Visualities in the Middle East

SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: As recent images from across the Arab world have
revealed a renewed investment in political visibility, we ask what
does this interface between street politics and online activism mean
for the way we make sense of images of resistance? In an effort to
refine our assumptions about the political significance and efficacy
of the documentary image, we compare and contrast recent innovations
with historical modalities in ways that highlight the generative
possibilities of "thinking with a camera," aesthetic differences
notwithstanding. While the region is undeniably beleaguered by
simplistic representations, these practices illuminate possibilities
for different ways of knowing the region as well as rethinking what
constitutes the political.

Please e-mail a 250-300-word abstract, along with a brief
biographical statement and a 5-entry bibliography, by August 18 to:
Mark Westmoreland -(mrw /at/ aucegypt.edu)   AND
Terri Ginsberg -(t.ginsberg.1 /at/ alumni.nyu.edu)