[ecrea] Fembot Unconference

Thu May 23 01:32:44 GMT 2013

Fembot Unconference: Multiplying Standpoints and Participatory Feminism
July 18-19, 2013
White Stag, Portland, Oregon

The Fembot Collective <http://fembotcollective.org>, and its peer-reviewed journal Ada <http://adanewmedia.org>, value and feature intersectionality in terms of content, membership, editorial practices, and organizational structure. This unconference addresses issues related to our networks and their geographical and institutional limitations at a critical juncture in Fembot's history. In order to ensure that our politics are mirrored in our practices, we have invited five consultants (see below) with demonstrated expertise in participatory media theory and production to provide guidance in thinking about these issues.

Day one will initiate a series of discussions organized around questions of accessibility, participation, strategies of inclusion, editorial bias, and the crafting of Ada Issue Four which will address these issues in journal form. Day two will be dedicated to a hack-a-thon -- a full-day session that will convene a group of technologically proficient programmers and designers to collaborate on building a digital tool that emerges from the previous day's conversations. The hack-a-thon in particular will allow us to build beyond the humanities and social sciences to feminists working in computer science and high-tech industries.

This event is free and open to the general public.

Consultants

Brittney Cooper (Rutgers)

Michelle Habell-Pallán (U of Washington)

Margaret Rhee (UC Berkeley)

Kristen Warner (U of Alabama)

To find out more or register to attend, please email Bryce at (bpeake /at/ uoregon.edu) <mailto:(bpeake /at/ uoregon.edu)>.

Sponsored by: The Center for the Study of Women in Society, University of Oregon in Portland, the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Journalism and Communication, and UO Libraries