[ecrea] 'Media, Gender & Culture' London Summer School

Sat May 04 12:22:36 GMT 2013

-------------------

Please circulate widely - deadline for applications 15 May

King's College London Summer School 2013

'Media, Gender & Culture'

1 – 19 July 2013

Course leader: Rachel O'Neill

How does gender organise social and cultural life? What role does media play in maintaining gender inequality? Can media be used as a resource for cultural politics and activism? By who, and in what ways? How can we approach critical issues of power and agency in the analysis of contemporary gender relations?

The ‘Media, Gender & Culture’ London Summer School programme will explore these and other questions, offering students the opportunity to study media, gender and culture in transnational perspective. As well as examining the central theoretical approaches to the study of gender, the course will offer an in-depth look at current debates over issues such as ‘postfeminism’ and the 'sexualisation of culture'. We will explore the gendered dimensions of contemporary media and cultural trends, considering issues of gender and social change; power and representation; culture and agency; social critique and cultural politics. In dedicated workshops students will learn how to apply theory in the analysis of media texts, including screen and print media, as well as digital media. We will also take case studies – such as the SlutWalk protest movement and the Everyday Sexism project – to examine the social and cultural context of gender inequality, and think through some of the ways social media might be used as a tool of social change. Taking full advantage of our central London location, we will visit many of the capital's foremost cultural institutes – including the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), British Film Institute (BFI), National Gallery, and the Institute for Contemporary Art (ICA); students will have the opportunity to meet with insiders from the media and cultural industries. At all points the course will promote intersectional thinking, as we consider how gender intersects with other axes of power, such as sexuality, race and class. Students on this course will develop the knowledge and critical skills necessary to analyse media, gender and culture in global arena.

Registration for the King's Summer School is now open.

For more information please visit:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/shortcourses/index/name/mediagenderculture/keyword/summer-school

Administrative contact: (summerschool /at/ kcl.ac.uk)

Academic contact: rachel.r.o’(neill /at/ kcl.ac.uk)