[ecrea] CfP: “Did anyone say Power?”: Rethinking Domination and Hegemony in Translation‏

Sat Mar 09 23:27:40 GMT 2013

Please find below a call for papers for the conference “Did anyone say Power?”: Rethinking Domination and Hegemony in Translation. The conference will take place at Bangor University, Wales, UK, from Thursday 5 to Friday 6 September 2013.

We are delighted to announce the following distinguished researchers as our keynote speakers:

-  Professor Christina Schäffner (Aston University, Birmingham, UK)
-  Dr Karen Bennett (University of Lisbon Centre for English Studies (ULICES), Portugal)
-  Professor Luc van Doorslaer (University of Leuven, Centre for Translation Studies (CETRA), Belgium)
-  Professor José Lambert (University of Leuven, Centre for Translation Studies (CETRA), Belgium)

RATIONALE
Translation Studies has come of age, evidenced by proclamations of a series of intellectual ‘turns’, most prominently a ‘cultural turn’ in the 1990s followed by a ‘sociological turn’ in the last decade. Whilst also a ‘power turn’ and an ‘ideological’ turn have been suggested, there is a lack of self-awareness and self-reflection on our own entanglement within contemporary power structures, which are largely driven by financial, economic and technological globalisation. This interdisciplinary conference aims to critically interrogate central concepts such as ‘ideology’ and ‘power’ from self-reflexive, theoretical and practical perspectives. In view of Jean Baudrillard’s suggestion that any theory of power, in order to be ethically credible, must distinguish between relations of dominance and hegemony, we hope to bring together researchers, PhD-students, translators, writers and activists from varying backgrounds to engage in a discussion about th
e impact of power on the theory and practice of translation as well as on our own critical reflections.

POTENTIAL TOPICS FOR ABSTRACT PROPOSALS
Apart from paper proposals, we are open to suggestions for a range of discussion formats such as poster presentations or audio-recorded roundtables. We are particularly interested in reflections on the ideological effects of technological change on translation theory and practice, whether in the present or future. Paper proposals focusing on any topic within the following two broad theoretical and practical themes will be welcome:

THEORIES OF POWER AND IDEOLOGY
* Ideology, Power and the different ‘Turns’ in Translation Studies
* Power and Ideology from different disciplinary Perspectives
* Ideology and Power in relation to History, Theory, Practice and Technology

DISCOURSE IN TRANSLATION
* Critical Theory and Philosophy
* Capitalist Hegemony
* Political Ideologies
* Subversive and Underground Ideologies

PUBLICATION
Following the conference, we will publish an edited book volume which will engage with the theme of Translation, Power and Globalization. It is also the aim of the organizers to edit a special issue on the theme of Translation, Domination and Hegemony in a peer-reviewed international journal. This section will be updated once we receive the final confirmation from both publishers.

CONTACT
Please send a 250-word abstract and a mini-biography (50-100 words) by Tuesday 30 April 2013 to Dr Stefan Baumgarten ((s.baumgarten /at/ bangor.ac.uk)). Notification of acceptance of proposals will be communicated by Monday 20 May 2013. For general enquiries about the conference and potential discussion formats please contact Dr Yan Ying ((y.ying /at/ bangor.ac.uk)) or Dr Jordi Cornellà-Detrell ((j.cornella /at/ bangor.ac.uk)). The conference website will be available in due course, including information on fees and registration details. The conference programme and abstracts will be published in May. There might be opportunities for some fee waivers for postgraduate presenters. We will not be able however to cover any accommodation or travel costs.

With best wishes from Wales,
Stefan Baumgarten