Archive for December 2013

[ecrea] Conference - Globalization: Texts • Performances • Practices

Thu Dec 19 20:35:15 GMT 2013

“Globalization: Texts • Performances • Practices”
April 24-26, 2014 at Saint Louis University Madrid
Call for Papers

In the provocative book Vermeers’ Hat, historian Timothy Brooks teases out the signs of nascent globalization in Johannes Vermeer’s seventeenth century paintings of Delft, Holland. These signs include the eponymous hats from “New World” pelts, textiles from Turkey, ceramics from China that were already established features of the Dutch quotidian and within the frame of the paintings. In other words, globalization predates Bretton Woods, the 1989 Revolutions, and the rise of Facebook!

Almost four centuries later, the depth and breadth of what we now regularly reference as globalization is still expanding. At the same time, in most moments, we as subjects are situated in palpable, immediate, super-organic localities. This and other paradoxes demonstrate that, however much “globalization” has become a widely circulated buzzword, we are still probing what it means for subjects in everyday terms.

Across three days, participants from all over the globe will reflect on the many registers in which the “structuring structures” of globalization play out as the conference assays to unpack “what’s going on.” While the event will be hosted by a Communication department, the organizers welcome cross-disciplinary effort.

Some specific areas of interest to the Organizing Committee include:

Globalization, on Screens Everywhere
—Media, Technology, and Society
—The Practice of International Journalism
—Digital Journalism
—New Media: New Subjects?
—Film & Television as International Couriers
—International Political Economy of Media
Critical Intercultural Communication:
—Globalization and Subjectivity
—Culture, Identity & Mobility
—Tourism in Practice
—Glocalization and Cultural Heterogeneity
—Fluidity and Hybridity
—Performing Globalization
—Post-Colonial & Diaspora Studies
—New Cartographies
Global Organizations
—Nations/TransNations
—The Confrontation with Neoliberalism
—The Corporation
—Human Rights & NGOs
—Modes of Protest

To be considered as a presenter, please email the following by 4 January 2014:
(1) Your name and title
(2) Institutional affiliation
(3) A title and abstract of your work (200-400 words)
(4) four “key words”

Conference email address: (madrid.comm.conference2014 /at/ gmail.com)
Conference website: http://slucommconf.cloudysea.com/
*The conference’s designated language will be English in all its variants.
Additionally, we are delighted to announce two keynote addresses for the conference: Radha S. Hegde, New York University: “Migrant Bodies and the Politics of Recognition.”
and
Natalie Fenton, Goldsmiths/University of London: “Mediated Public Spheres: The Problem of Politics and Dream of Democracy.”