Archive for November 2013

[ecrea] Screenworks Vol 4 - Elspeth kydd's Stone Street

Thu Nov 07 10:13:07 GMT 2013

We are delighted to publish the final screenwork of Screenworks Volume 4, Stone Street, Elspeth kydd’s auto-ethnographic documentary which examines the Trinidadian diaspora through the lens of her family home in the eponymous Stone Street, Port of Spain.

http://www.jmpscreenworks.com/?pid=vol4

The film offers a moving autobiographic portrait of the Cherrie family and its branches in the US, UK and Canada, mixing home-movie Super 8 footage, photographs, musical recordings and interviews with a lyrical first-person narration. This absorbing film questions the very notion of ‘home’, moving beyond a simple record of family life to become a layered exploration of identity, history, race, representation, place and belonging.

Stone Street premiered at Trinidad&  Tobago Film Festival, 2012 where it won the award for Cultural Diversity. We are honoured to publish the film here in memory of Elspeth who died prematurely, shortly after completing Stone Street, in April 2013. We are also indebted to Yoram Allon and Tom Cabot at Wallflower Press and editor Alisa Lebow for allowing us to reprint Elspeth’s reflective essay ‘Looking for Home in Home Movies’ in lieu of a research statement.

To coincide with this publication there is a special screening of Stone Street as part of the Afrika Eye Film Festival tonight, Wednesday 6 November at the Art House Cafe, Stokes Crofts, Bristol, 7.30pm.  Donations on the door.http://afrikaeye.org.uk/2013/11/stone-street/

Screenworks is a peer-reviewed online publication of practice research in film and screen media, edited by Dr Charlotte Crofts and associate editor, Dr Steve Presence, both based at The University of the West of England, Bristol, with support from the Digital Cultures Research Centre. Screenworks publishes practice research that produces new knowledge in Communication, Media and Cultural Studies, Art and Design, Performing Arts and related fields. We offer a forum for the dissemination and discussion of practice research that includes space for reflection on research contexts. Work is published alongside a research statement, which offers a 'route map' of the research process, together with two anonymous reviews, which provide critical feedback on both the work itself and its research context.

We warmly invite submissions for Volume 5.  The next deadline is Monday 13 January 2014, but we accept submissions on a rolling basis, so please do submit prior to this if you are ready. This volume will not be REF-able.

Please download the submissions guidelines and proforma here:http://www.jmpscreenworks.com/page/submissions

We very much hope you enjoy this volume.

All the best,

Charlotte and Steve