Archive for September 2012

[ecrea] tenure-track position in information and communications technologies policy, Concordia University, Montréal

Mon Sep 10 18:24:44 GMT 2012

TENURE-TRACK POSITION IN INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGIES POLICY

Home to 27 departments, colleges, schools and institutes, the Faculty of Arts and Science is leading Concordia University to the forefront of research and graduate education in Quebec and Canada. Recognized for innovative research in the sciences, humanities, and social sciences, the Faculty’s renowned Department of Communication Studies invites applications for a tenure-track position in Information and Communications Technologies Policy.

We are seeking a dynamic, active and ambitious researcher, working in two or more of the following areas: telecommunications policy; internet governance; political economy of ICT industries; social uses of ICTs; targeted policy issues including privacy, copyright, and intellectual property; international and global ICT policy. A broad understanding of Canadian media policy is highly desirable, and experience with graduate supervision – particularly at the doctoral level – is an asset. In addition to a promising record of scholarly achievement within the broad domain of ICT Policy, candidates of interest will be able to clearly articulate their long-term research agenda together with relevant funding goals and opportunities. The ideal candidate will compliment established strengths in our Department and the University, and will be well positioned to actively participate in national and international ICT Policy research networks.

Founded in 1965, the Department of Communication Studies at Concordia University is Canada’s oldest degree-granting department in the discipline. The Department offers programs leading to the BA, Graduate Diploma, MA, and PhD degrees. The undergraduate degree in Communication Studies is highly regarded for its integration of media production and critical theoretical perspectives. We are the only institution in Canada to offer an undergraduate program in Communication and Cultural Studies, and a graduate diploma in Communication Studies. Our MA in Media Studies is unique in its structure and focus, and our bilingual, inter-university PhD in Communication offers access to a wide range of resources and expertise. Our PhD students have won numerous awards and scholarships, including two recent Trudeau Foundation Scholarships and a Vanier Scholarship. Our graduates have gone on to become leaders in the media and cultural industries, as producers, directors, and writers, among other roles. Graduates of our PhD have become Canada Research Chairs.

The Department of Communication Studies is a highly active research unit, and we are presently home to three research chairs – Communication Studies, Mobile Media Studies, Game Studies and Design. Our scholars and artists have secured more than three million dollars of research funding since 2010 and we proudly maintain a significant level of engagement with our students and our research. Numerous research groups and research labs make up the Communication Studies community, and we look forward to the addition of a colleague with policy expertise who will contribute to our vibrant research and teaching unit.

In keeping with Concordia’s mission, the Department fosters inclusivity in its research, curriculum, and teaching practices, and is committed to serving the needs of a diverse student population. Montreal is a world-class city of over 3 million people, offering a rich and diverse cultural life, and the intellectual stimulation of four major universities. In addition, the city is a major site of innovation and excellence in emerging digital media technologies, with significant government and private industry support. Candidates are encouraged to visit our departmental website for additional information concerning our programs and priorities.

Applications must consist of a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae, copies of recent publications, a statement of teaching philosophy/interests, a statement of research achievements, and evidence of teaching effectiveness. Candidates must also arrange to have three letters of reference sent directly to the departmental contact. Candidates who have not completed all requirements for a PhD will not be considered.

Prof. Rae Staseson, Chair

Department of Communication Studies

Concordia University

1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

H3G 1M8

(Rae.Staseson /at/ concordia.ca) <mailto:(Rae.Staseson /at/ concordia.ca)> (no email applications accepted)

http://comm.concordia.ca/ <http://comm.concordia.ca/>

Subject to budgetary approval, we anticipate filling this position, normally at the rank of Assistant Professor, for July 1, 2013. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. All applications should reach the department no later than November 1, 2012. All inquiries about the position should be directed to Professor Staseson ((Rae.Staseson /at/ concordia.ca)). <mailto:((Rae.Staseson /at/ concordia.ca)).> For additional information, please visit our website atartsandscience.concordia.ca. An appointment at a more senior level may also be considered.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. Concordia University is committed to employment equity.