Archive for September 2011

[ecrea] SEACHANGE Journal | 2011 Issue launch | CHOICE + CFP 2012

Tue Sep 20 15:03:30 GMT 2011

It is with great pleasure that we announce the online publication of the
second issue of SEACHANGE Art | Communication | Technology, which we
invite you to read at the following address:
http://www.seachangejournal.ca

SEACHANGE is an international journal based at McGill University which
welcomes contributions in English and French from a wide range of
disciplinary backgrounds. Its mission is to reconfigure inherited
critical discourses in art, media, culture, and technology. Each
individual issue is centred around a singular theoretical or affective
event, formulated as an "intellectual moment" modeled on lived
experience, where critical discourses react and readjust themselves.

This second issue of SEACHANGE focuses on the event of "Choice," which
it explores through a selection of articles and interviews. We are
especially proud to present the transcription of a roundtable SEACHANGE
convened between Darin Barney (Communication Studies, McGill
University), Andrew Piper (German Studies, McGill University) and Joanna
Zylinska (New Media and Communications, Goldsmiths, University of
London) on the possible futures of the global university; a timely
interview with one of Iran's foremost philosophers, Dariush Shayegan,
wherein he discusses the conditions of possibility for the realization
of democracy; and finally an insightful examination of the Kitty
Genovese paradigm with Carrie Rentschler (Communication Studies, McGill
University). Add to this, articles ranging from the dire future of
Google Books to the pre-history of social media environments in Egypt,
as well as the larger-than-life paintings of Bogdan Luca, a
Toronto-based painter, and this second issue of SEACHANGE makes for a
comprehensive engagement with choice as a living social process.

We are also taking this opportunity to announce the theme of our 2012
issue (see CFP below and attached to this message). The deadline for
contributions is January 30th, 2012. We hope that our third theme will
be of interest to many of you and we look forward to receiving your
contributions, which can take the form of articles or of interviews.

We sincerely hope that you will take as much pleasure in reading this
issue as we have had in putting it together. On our website, you can
download the issue as a full PDF, access each contribution as an
individual PDF, and sign up to our mailing list.

Feel free to contact us with any questions regarding possible
contributions at the following addresses: (caroline.bem /at/ mail.mcgill.ca) or
(rafico.ruiz /at/ mail.mcgill.ca).

Wishing you all an eventful reading,

Caroline Bem and Rafico Ruiz
SEACHANGE Editors

2012 | TALK

This third issue of SEACHANGE will address the uses, practices and
experiences of talk. Drawing a sweeping line from silent film and talk
radio to psychotherapy and the modalities of political discourse, Issue
3 will put under interrogation the forces that exert pressure on the
means and ends of talk. In particular, it will examine how the
production, locales, audiences, media, and ultimate circulation of
speech acts, have all increasingly come under contestable forms of
economic, political and social control. Contributions could range from
the politics of access, intimacy, and publicness across media, to the
invisibility of communicative disabilities, or the prevalence of
discourse as a mode of inquiry in opposition to those more engaged with
phatic communication. Parodying one allegorical Travis Bickle, this
third issue of SEACHANGE is asking contributors to look in our
collective mediated mirror and ask: “You talkin’ to me? You talkin’to
me? You talkin’ to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin’ to? You
talkin’ to me? Well I’m the only one here.”

The foremost mission of SEACHANGE is to promote a high degree of
scholarly creativity. Contributions based on a wide range of approaches
are welcome. By way of example, these could focus on events in new
media, cinema, art, music, literature, or social philosophy. Beyond an
engagement with talk as a theoretical and affective event, the present
issue of SEACHANGE might also act as a laboratory for the examination of
rapidly evolving academic cultures.

Contributions can be in English or French and should ideally not exceed
25 double-spaced pages. Citation guidelines can be found at
seachangejournal.ca. Contributors should provide an abstract in English
or French as well as a short biography with their contribution. Authors
are responsible for clearing all copyright to any translations submitted
or illustrations used. Please direct all queries and contributions to
(caroline.bem /at/ mail.mcgill.ca) or (rafico.ruiz /at/ mail.mcgill.ca) by January
30th, 2012.

2012 | PAROLE

Ce troisième numéro de SEACHANGE se propose d’examiner les utilisations,
pratiques et expériences liées à la parole. Traçant un arc qui vadu
cinéma muet et de la radio à la psychothérapie et à différentes
modalités de discours politique, ce troisième numéro veut interroger les
forces multiples qui exercent des pressions transformatives sur les
tenants et aboutissants de la parole. En particulier, il s’agit
d’examiner comment la production, les lieux, les publics, les médias et
tout au bout la circulation d’actes de langage, se retrouvent de plus en
plus subordonnés à des formes contestables de contrôle économique,
politique et social. Les contributions pourraient prendre comme point de
départ la politique qui au sein des médias régule l’accès, l’intimité et
le bien public. Elles pourraient également s’intéresser à l’invisibilité
du handicap communicationnel, ou encore à la prévalence du discours
comme mode d’investigation, par opposition à d’autres modes plus
orientés vers la communication phatique. Pour parodier le personnage
allégorique de Travis Bickle, nous incitons nos contributeurs pour ce
troisième numéro de SEACHANGE à se contempler dans un miroir médiatique
collectif et à demander: « C’est à moi que tu parles ? C’est àmoi que
tu parles ? C’est à moi que tu parles ? Alors à qui diable est-ce que tu
parles ? C’est à moi que tu parles ? Parce que, y’a que moi ici. »

SEACHANGE se donne pour mission de promouvoir un haut niveau de
créativité académique. Nous souhaitons recevoir des contributions qui
s’appuient sur les approches les plus diverses. A titre d’exemple, les
articles peuvent prendre comme sujet des événements provenant du champ
des nouveaux médias, du cinéma, des arts, de la musique, de la
littérature ou encore de la philosophie sociale. De plus, s’il est vrai
que la revue s’investit dans une conception de la parole en tant
qu’événement théorique et affectif, ce numéro de SEACHANGE se veut
également un laboratoire de recherche sur les cultures académiques
sujettes à une évolution rapide.

Les articles peuvent être écrits en français ou en anglais. Ils ne
doivent pas, si possible, dépasser 25 pages en double interligne. Notre
protocole de rédaction se trouve sur le site seachangejournal.ca. Les
articles doivent être accompagnés de deux courts résumés (en anglais et
en français) ainsi que d’une courte notice biographique. Les auteurs
sont responsables de l’obtention des droits d’auteur pour toutes
traductions et illustrations soumises à la revue. Pour toutes questions
supplémentaires et pour soumettre des propositions d’articles ou
d’entrevues, s’adresser à (caroline.bem /at/ mail.mcgill.ca) ou rafico.ruiz
@mail. mcgill.ca avant le 30 janvier, 2012.
--

Dr Joanna Zylinska
Department of Media and Communications