Archive for August 2011

[ecrea] Games for Health Europe – Call for content and participation

Mon Aug 29 14:23:21 GMT 2011

Dear friends,

Games for Health Europe is the upcoming first international conference on the use of games and simulation in health, medicine and well being. GFHEU has extended its call for content, in the form of posters, talks, case studies and anything creative related to the topic at hand. The conference will be held in Amsterdam on October 24 & 25. Registration for the conference outside of submission is also possible, of course, and discounts can be discussed with interested organizations.

The call for content: http://www.gamesforhealtheurope.org/callforcontent/

Registration: http://www.gamesforhealtheurope.org/register

Speakers list: http://www.gamesforhealtheurope.org/program/speakers

For all enquiries please feel free to contact Alex Gekker at (alex /at/ gamesforhealtheurope.org) <mailto:(alex /at/ gamesforhealtheurope.org)>

*Short description:*

Bringing together academics, medical professionals and video game industry leaders we strive to engage them in an innovative and groundbreaking discussion on the impacts games, simulations and game-like techniques might have on us all in the near future. This is the first conference on European soil, after Games for Health conferences have been taking place annually in Boston for the past seven years. Participants are encouraged to bring their own issues and concerns to the discussion – the call for content is now open! By providing the framework during and after the conference, we hope to facilitate creative solutions for problems in healthcare, mental well-being and medical training.

The central theme is: How games & simulations can improve health(care) and make it affordable. The conference consists of five main tracks, with additional tracks and topics interwoven throughout the program:

     Cognitive and emotional health (mental health)

Stress and depressions are often referred to as the plagues of the 21st century. In this track we discuss how games in their different forms and platforms can contribute to alleviating those conditions among target audiences.

     Participatory health

Games for Health founder Ben Sawyer sees the medical professional as an “interface” between the patient and the health system. In this track we ask how can gaming techniques improve this interface, and provide more engaging, encompassing experience for the individual with their own health.

     Exergaming, active gaming & fitness

From the Nintendo Wii and to the PS Move and Xbox Kinect, games for training and exercise are filling or lives. Similarly, sports applications for mobile devices and smart phones are on the rise. In this track we discuss the long term implications of using those platforms for health and fitness.

     Rehabilitation games

Patients going through rehabilitation after disease and injury are experiencing pain and discomfort. By using games both as distraction and rehabilitation techniques, this track explores the possibility of helping them.

     Medical education, medical training, medical modeling & medical
     simulation

In a world where the US military is recruiting hardcore gamers for support roles, video games have been recognized as a tool for improving one’s skills and reflexes. This track explores the role of games in providing training and practice for medical personnel.

Additional inforamtion on www.gamesforhealtheurope.org <http://www.gamesforhealtheurope.org/>