Archive for June 2011

[ecrea] Sexualisation of Culture Conference: call for papers

Wed Jun 01 14:59:44 GMT 2011

*Sexualisation of Culture Conference

*Call for Papers**
* *
*Complicating debates about the 'sexualisation of culture': An International Conference*

*Institute of Education, London, 1 & 2 December 2011*

   * Are we seeing the sexualisation of culture?
   * Has pornography become mainstreamed and normalised in 21st-century
     Western societies?
   * How do practices associated with sexualisation play out across
     different spaces, sites, subjectivities, cultural groups and
     generations?
   * Can we move beyond the moral panic/libertarian dichotomies that
     seem to dominate debates on 'sexualisation'?

     This international conference will interrogate 'sexualisation',
     exploring sexual politics across key social and cultural spheres.
     We encourage papers that explore the multiple meanings of
     sexualised cultures, across social generations, cultural groups
     and within and between different sites -- for example workplaces,
     schools, leisure spaces, intimate sexual relationships and online
     culture.

     Our goal is to create a space for dialogue that spans
     disciplinary, theoretical, political and national boundaries. We
     are keen to include practitioners, members of NGOs, policy makers
     and other stakeholders in the conference as presenters and
     participants. We will also be holding a student networking session
     for postgraduates, postdocs and researchers working in this area.
     We are committed to ensuring diversity in participation across
     geographical location, race, ethnicity and sexual and gendered
     identities.

     *Keynote Speakers*

     Susie Orbach, psychotherapist, psychoanalyst, writer, London, UK
     Sue Jackson, Department of Psychology, University of Wellington,
     New Zealand
     Mireille Miller-Young, Feminist Studies University of California
     Santa Barbara, USA
     Leonore Tiefer, PhD, author, educator, researcher, therapist and
     activist, New York City, USA

     *Plenary Panel*

     Onscenity Network, including: Feona Attwood, Communication,
     Sheffield Hallam University, UK and Clarissa Smith, Media Studies,
     University of Sunderland, UK

     *_Closing date for abstracts: 30 June 2011_*

     *For details on abstract submission go to:
     **http://www.ioe.ac.uk/sexualisationconference*