[ecrea] Spaces of Television - cfp

Wed Nov 10 19:05:16 GMT 2010

At 17:49 10/11/2010, you wrote:

Call for Papers: ?The Politics of Television Space?

University of Leicester: Friday 8 April 2011

The first symposium arising from the AHRC ?Spaces of Television? project will be held at the University of Leicester on Friday 8 April 2011. Proposals are invited for papers and/or panels on the theme of ?The Politics of Television Space? ? broadly defined.

The project focuses specifically on television drama in Britain between 1955 and 1994, and we particularly welcome papers in this area, though we will also consider comparative perspectives (e.g. dramas from other television industries, import/export, transnational exchange, co-productions).

Possible topics include but are not limited to:

* The institutional, cultural and aesthetic relationships between the spaces of television drama production (studio, location) and political meaning. * The socio-political significance of different technologies of drama production (live, tape, film). * Histories and historiographies of television drama, particularly relating to production strategies and institutional contexts. * The social and cultural meanings of the spaces depicted in television drama: e.g. heritage spaces, the urban and the rural, regional, national and foreign spaces, fantasy spaces. * Case studies of ?political? dramas or the work of ?political? dramatists, focusing on mise-en-scene and issues of space.

Proposals to Professor James Chapman (<mailto:(jrc28 /at/ le.ac.uk)>(jrc28 /at/ le.ac.uk)) by 15 December 2010.

We envisage 20-minute papers with no parallel sessions. We welcome proposals from both established scholars and early career researchers including postgraduate students.

?Spaces of Television? is an AHRC-funded research project led by the University of Reading in collaboration with the University of Leicester and the University of Reading.

Further details of the project can be found at: <http://www.reading.ac.uk/ftt/research/Spacesoftelevision.aspx>http://www.reading.ac.uk/ftt/research/Spacesoftelevision.aspx

Professor Stephen Lacey
Cardiff School of Creative and Cultural Industries/Ysgol Diwydiannau Creadigol a Diwylliannol Caerdydd
University of  Glamorgan/Prifysgol Morgannwg
ATRiuM
Adam St/Heol Adam
Cardiff/Caerdydd CF24 2FN
tel: 01443-668611 (direct line)