[ecrea] Call for Papers - International worskhop 'Intellectuals and public spheres', 24- 25 March 2011, Antwerp

Wed Nov 03 20:27:31 GMT 2010

Please find below the call for papers for the upcoming international workshop on intellectuals and public spheres that UCSIA (<http://www.ucsia.org/>www.ucsia.org) organises on March 24th -25th 2011 at the University of Antwerp, Belgium.

This academic workshop wants to investigate how public intellectuals have constructed their role and position in the public sphere in the past and how they achieve authority today within a more fragmented public sphere in order to pursue their public role once again. We accept contributions on the following subtopics:

1.       Transformations of the public sphere

2.       Types of intellectuals

3.       Authority and influence

4.       Accountability and responsibilities
On our website you will find a project description and draft programme, as well as the application procedure and the application form; for more information, <http://www.ucsia.org/main.aspx?c=*UCSIAENG2&n=91192&ct=82732>click here.

The deadline for submission of applications is set for December 26th 2010. Candidates should send in the completed application form, accompanied by an academic curriculum vitae and an outline of the proposed paper. The selection of participants will be communicated by January 21st 2011.

The selected participant will present her/his paper in a panel session (20 minutes in English) and will afterwards send in an article to be considered for publication (which will be submitted to careful selection). The aim of the organizer is to publish a selection of articles presented at the conference.

Thanking you in advance for your interest and for the wider dissemination of this information, we remain at your disposal for all further questions.

Sincerely,

Sara Mels
Project coordinator

UCSIA