[ecrea] call for papers book on advertising and reality (deadline extension)

Thu Sep 30 14:29:55 GMT 2010

>Call for Papers: A Book on Advertising and Reality
>
>Title: Advertising and Reality: A Global Look on Life in Commercials
>
>Under Contract with: Continuum (Expected Publication Date  Fall 2012)
>
>Editor: Amir Hetsroni (School of Communication
>Ariel University Center, Israel).
>

>This book, under contract with Continuum, aims
>to offer an extensive peak at the way our life
>is represented in advertising. For that purpose,
>a call is made here to mass media scholars,
>advertising researchers, marketing experts and
>social science academics from all over the world
>to offer contributions that shed light on the
>way human life is represented in commercials and
>the potential effects of this representation.
>

>The approach of this collection is
>social-scientific. This means that empirical
>studies, literature reviews and theoretical
>entries are all welcome - as long as they are
>positivistic in the manner of knowledge pursual.
>Purely polemic-critical articles and manuscripts
>that purportedly "prove" claims by relying on
>non-representative samples will not be
>considered. However, the examination of any
>advertising channel (broadcast, print, digital
>etc.) is welcome, and cross-cultural studies are
>particularly encouraged, as one of the book's
>objectives is portraying the way modern life
>looks like in the most popular form of marketing communication worldwide.
>

>Contributions can be of two types: (a) direct
>examination of the representation of reality in
>advertising; (b) related effects and theories.
>
>Contributions of the first type are, in most
>cases, expected to be content analyses, or
>extensive reviews of existing research, or a
>combination of the two. Preference will be given
>to submissions that analyze new data. Here are
>some suggested topics. Authors are welcome to come up with additional ideas:
>
>·        Families in advertising
>
>·        Children in advertising
>
>·        Work and leisure in advertising
>
>·        Gender roles in advertising
>
>·        Objectionable content in advertising (sex and violence)
>
>·        Minorities in advertising
>
>·        Risky behavior in advertising (e.g. drunk driving)
>
>·        Health, diseases and death in advertising
>
>·        Eating and drinking and their
>aftermath: Food and body figure in advertisements
>
>·        Age and ageing in advertising
>
>·        Physical and man-made scenery in advertising
>
>·        Love and romance in advertising
>

>Contributions of the second type are expected be
>surveys/experiments, or extensive reviews of
>existing research, or a combination of the two
>(with preference given to submissions that
>analyze new data). Content wise, the papers should engage in:
>
>·        Cross-Cultural differences in presenting everyday life in advertising
>
>·        Immediate and non-immediate effects of
>reality representation in advertising
>(emphasizing in particular non-commercial effects)
>
>·        Theoretical accounts of reality
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885