[ecrea] Call for Chapters: Uberveillance and the Social Implications of Microchip Implants: Emerging Technologies (deadline September 15, 2010)

Sun Aug 22 14:40:01 GMT 2010

><http://www.igi-global.com/AuthorsEditors/AuthorEditorResources/CallForBookChapters/CallForChapterDetails.aspx?CallForContentId=34694c1f-d796-4490-88c5-289f3bff2f6f>http://www.igi-global.com/AuthorsEditors/AuthorEditorResources/CallForBookChapters/CallForChapterDetails.aspx?CallForContentId=34694c1f-d796-4490-88c5-289f3bff2f6f
>
>Uberveillance and the Social Implications of
>Microchip Implants: Emerging Technologies
>
>Editors:
>
>Associate Professor Katina Michael and Dr M.G. Michael
>University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia
>
>Call for Chapters:
>Proposals Submission Deadline: September 15, 2010
>
>Introduction
>Uberveillance can be defined as an omnipresent
>electronic surveillance facilitated by
>technology that makes it possible to embed
>surveillance devices in the human body. These
>embedded technologies can take the form of
>traditional pacemakers, radio-frequency
>identification (RFID) tag and transponder
>implants, biomems and nanotechnology devices.
>
>Uberveillance has to do with the fundamental who
>(ID), where (location), and when (time)
>questions in an attempt to derive why
>(motivation), what (result), and even how
>(method/plan/thought). Uberveillance can be a
>predictive mechanism for a persons expected
>behavior, traits, likes, or dislikes based on
>historical fact; or it can be about real-time
>measurement and observation; or it can be something in between.
>
>The inherent problem with uberveillance is that
>facts do not always add up to truth, and
>predictions based on uberveillance are not
>always correct. Uberveillance is more than
>closed circuit television feeds, or cross-agency
>databases linked to national identity cards, or
>biometrics and ePassports used for international
>travel. Uberveillance is the sum total of all
>these types of surveillance and the deliberate
>integration of an individuals personal data for
>the continuous tracking and monitoring of
>identity, location, and condition in real time.
>
>In its ultimate form, uberveillance has to do
>with more than automatic identification
>technologies that we carry with us. It has to do
>with under-the-skin technology that is embedded
>in the body, such as microchip implants; it is
>that which cuts into the flesh  a charagma
>(mark). Think of it as Big Brother on the inside
>looking out. Like a black box embedded in the
>body which records and transmits specific
>measures. This charagma is virtually meaningless
>without the hybrid network architecture that
>supports its functionality: making the person a
>walking online node. We are referring here, to
>the lowest common denominator, the smallest unit
>of tracking  presently a tiny chip inside the
>body of a human being. This is opposed to other
>forms of spatial units such as satellite
>imagery, street views, or even cadastre blocks.
>
>Objective of the Book
>This book will aim to equip the wider community
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885