[ecrea] Double CFP: Continuum Approaches to Digital Game Studies Book Series

Fri Aug 06 21:25:36 GMT 2010

>Double CFP: Continuum Approaches to Digital Game Studies Book
>Series  (Edited Collection on Digital Role-playing Games and Edited
>Collection on First Person Shooters)
>
>These two collections will be the first two titles in a larger
>series of edited volumes, Approaches to Digital Game Studies,
>published by Continuum. Each book in the series will be organized
>around a thematic or functional genre of game. Although digital game
>genres and the criteria for defining such genres are contested and
>dynamic categories, exploring the promises and pitfalls of genre is
>precisely one of the goals the series hopes to accomplish.
>Additionally, the series will bring the insights of a variety of
>scholarly disciplines to bear on the analysis of digital games in
>order to better understand the nature of this medium, its role in
>reshaping civic life and its impact on the production, circulation
>and contestation of global and local cultures.
>
>Potential chapter contributions will be vetted by the series Review
>Board and invited manuscripts will be reviewed by the series Editors
>and approved by the Review Board.
>
>Series Review Board:
>Mia Conslavo, University of Ohio
>James Paul Gee, Arizona State University
>Helen Kennedy, University of the West of England*
>Frans Mayra, University of Tampere
>Toby Miller, University of California, Riverside*
>Torril Elvira Mortensen, University of Utrech*
>Lisa Nakamura, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>Gareth Schott, University of Waikato
>Mark JP Wolf, Concordia University Wisconsin
>(* indicates commitment still subject to final contract)
>
>Series Editors:
>Gerald Voorhees, High Point University
>Joshua Call, Grand View University
>Katie Whitlock, California State University, Chico

> Dragons and Digital Denizens: Digital Role-playing Games"
>
>One of the most popular and culturally significant game genres,
>digital role-playing games (RPGs) generate a rich tapestry of
>technologies, players, communities, cultures and commercial forces.
>This edited collection, provisionally titled, "Dungeons, Dragons and
>Digital Denizens: Digital Role-playing Games," is designed for a
>broad academic audience and will feature essays that either examine
>specific games or consider the genre as a whole.
>
>We invite scholars and critics to contribute to this edited
>collection of essays exploring the theory and criticism of digital
>RPGs. The collection will publish essays on digital RPGs that engage
>the theory and criticism of console, computer and/or massively
>multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs). However,
>contributions not focused on MMORPGs are especially encouraged.
>
>Contributions from all academic disciplines and geographic regions
>are invited. The collection and series aim to advance theory and
>criticism by bringing different voices and perspectives into
>conversation. However, critical inquiry is preferred.

> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885