[ecrea] cfp: CRITICAL THINKING AND ORGANISATIONAL COMMUNICATION

Mon Jul 26 10:17:36 GMT 2010

>CRITICAL THINKING AND ORGANISATIONAL COMMUNICATION
>

>Lille/Roubaix, France, July 5 & 6th 2011
>

>Call for papers
>

>This conference is about the use of critical
>theories in the field of organisational
>communication. We intend to identify the
>reciprocal links between critical thinking and
>organisational communication: how do critical
>theories infuse the reflection on organisational
>communication? What does critical research in
>organisational communication add to the
>critical tradition in social sciences? The
>objective of this conference is therefore twofold:
>
>First, it aims at reviewing the various critical
>approaches used by researchers in organisational
>communication: what is the current knowledge in
>this field? What are the theories and
>concepts used in research? How do critical approaches help us to understand
>communicational and organisational phenomena? What communication fields and
>communicational objects does criticism
>investigate? What understanding of organisations,
>work, society and mankind are critical approaches based upon?
>
>The second objective is to consider how theories
>of communication can contribute to assert a
>critical thinking in the research in
>organisational communication. If it cannot be denied that
>researchers in organisational communication rely
>on critical sociology and social philosophy,
>it remains necessary to assess the contribution
>of communicational analyses to the debates
>around critical theories: what is the
>contribution of information and communication sciences
>to the field of critical theories? To what
>extent could a better understanding of the
>communication phenomena at stake in
>organisations contribute to or question critical
>theories? What are the theories and concepts
>that both specifically belong to information and
>

>communication sciences and fall within a
>critical approach? How does the field of
>organisational communication import and make use
>of classical critical concepts?
>
>Organisational communication theories, as an
>object of research, are understood here in a very
>broad sense. The diversity of the relationships
>that exist between communication and
>organisations cannot be caught in a single word.
>For instance, communication can be defined
>as an organising tool, and reciprocally
>organisations can be defined as a place that produces
>many different forms of communication.
>Considering this diversity and heterogeneity, what is
>important for us in this colloquium is to focus
>on the research inspired by a critical
>orientation.
>
>What do we mean by critical approaches?
>
>A first answer to that question is to make clear
>what type of criticism we are not interested
>in.
>
>First, we will not investigate criticism as the
>simple activity of judging or questioning that is a
>founding principle in scientific research.
>
>Second, we don't mean by criticism a utilitarian
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885