[ecrea] Book Announcement: 'Cultural Analysis' - Jim McGuigan

Wed Feb 17 19:05:56 GMT 2010

Just wanted to bring Jim McGuigan's recent book to your attention.

<http://www.uk.sagepub.com/booksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book232216&;>http://www.uk.sagepub.com/booksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book232216&;

As ever, if you'd like to see an inspection copy for teaching or a review copy for a journal, give me a shout. Hope it's of interest!

Cultural Analysis

Jim McGuigan

"Jim McGuigan has done it again. The complex cultural machinery hiding behind the apparently simple 'facts of life' still fresh in our collective memory, has been pulled out from its hiding, exposed, disassembled and put together again, and showed in action of shaping up its products; all that done to the benefit of us all - simultaneously producers and product of the life we share. Another great contribution to cultural studies; and to our understanding of the world notorious for defying/escaping understanding. This is exactly what we need 'cultural analysis' for" - Professor Zygmunt Bauman, University of Leeds

"Jim McGuigan is one of cultural studies' leading practitioners. This volume is a generous and wide-reaching exploration of how to use cultural theory to explore a wide variety of topics, brought together under the sign of the struggle for a vigorous, participatory public sphere" - Toby Miller, University of California

This book represents a distinctive approach to cultural analysis, using multi-dimensional methods for addressing issues of public interest. Stressing the impact of both neoliberalism and the formation of a 'cool capitalist culture' that has colonised everyday life around much of the globe, Jim McGuigan deploys his original concept of the 'cultural public sphere' within several carefully analysed case studies, including celebrity death, festivals and urban regeneration, 'race' and multicultural controversy, popular television, social significance of the all purpose mobile communication device in a privatised and individualised way of life, and riskiness and uncertainty in the creative and media industries.

This is a radical intervention in the research agendas and conceptual development of cultural policy studies, cultural sociology and, more generally, in the broad field known as 'cultural studies'. It offers challenging theoretical arguments that are substantiated with concrete evidence of cultural and social processes.

Contents:

Introduction - Cultural Analysis
The Cultural Public Sphere
British Identity and the People's Princess
The Social Construction of a Cultural Disaster
A Community of Communities
Identity and the Crisis of Community
Sociology of the Mobile Phone
Risky Culture
Neoliberalism, Urban Regeneration and Cultural Policy
Apprentices to Cool Capitalism
Cultural Studies and Cool Capitalism

Best

Michael Ainsley