Archive for November 2010

[ecrea] Social Media Research in www.somere.nl

Mon Nov 22 12:38:22 GMT 2010

Invitation for communication professionals, researchers and students to join our Social Media Research in www.somere.nl.

The use of social media is a rapidly growing 'digital lifestyle'. It grows in the number of users, in kind of applications, widgets, and apps, in the sizes of its resources, in the number and kind of interactions, in the attention it gets, and also in the significance of its use in society. We consider social media as media foremost appropriate for and shaped by social behavior (browsing around), social actions (sending messages), social interactions (having conversations), and social relationships (being connected). By this definition social media include media like YouTube, Wikipedia and Flickr, and networks like Facebook and LinkedIn. Social media are applied in various settings.

These recent developments in social media open an interesting position that current digital and non-digital 'educational content methods and practices' based on traditional media will become rapidly replaced by social knowledge interactions. These knowledge interactions are co-created, delivered and maintained by social media, and characterized bij interactivity, openness, sociality and are personal of nature. Examples of knowledge interactions are wiki's, you-tube channels, facebook networks and groups, social plugins, social apps, and many more.

In our research, we are involved in various research and education projects in 'Learning networks'. In line with existing research on 'learning organizations' and 'knowledge-steered companies', we are interested in learning networks compared to learning organizations and cover topics like 'open innovation', 'co-creation', 'knowledge communities', and 'regions of knowledge'.

One of our knowledge media design projects is called SoMeRe (www.somere.nl). SoMeRe stands for Social Media Research Center. SoMeRe as a learning network wants to study the design, implementation, use and effects of social media in organizations and society. The network consists of master students, alumni's, researchers, teachers, and professionals for instance marketeers, and communication professionals. Here, we consider our current students as junior professionals working continuously on their professional development.

SoMeRe as an online environment is designed as a knowledge media platform for the support of 'social media' education and research. Knowledge Media is about the processes of generating, understanding and sharing knowledge using several different media, as well as understanding how the use of different media shape these processes (www.kmi.open.ac.uk). SoMeRe is set-up by researchers from the University of Twente (www.utwente.nl) and senior consultants from Sogeti (www.sogeti.nl). One of the main goals for developing and using SoMeRe is to explore and study scenario's for future deployment of colaborative learning and continuing professionalization. How can we develop and apply social knowledge interactions succesful in our future academic education and research? Somere as a platform contributes to our research and education in Social media. Currently, 60 to 80 students, researchers and professionals take part in Somere.

We invite communication professionals, researchers and students with an interest in Social media research to join us. If you are interested, just send an email to Sjoerd de Vries ((sjoerd.devries /at/ utwente.nl)). Of course, you can visit Somere.nl, but there is some translation work needed to develop it as an international research center :).