Archive for August 2010

[ecrea] Call for Papers: What is the Cyborg Subject?

Tue Aug 03 08:46:50 GMT 2010

>Call for Papers: What is the Cyborg Subject?
>
>In our postmodern age the notion of a posthuman or transhuman subject has
>been widely debated. Through practices such as plastic surgery, cognitive
>enhancers (drugs and medications) as well as simple acts of dressing up as a
>different "gender", the traditional idea of the subject, coined by western
>philosophy, is being contested. As the subject is increasingly torn between
>work and freedom, private and public life, today's informational capitalism
>forces it to overcome its natural boundaries. It has to work more than
>others, be happier than others, be more successful both in private and
>public contexts than others.
>
>The introductory issue of the recently launched journal "Cyborg Subjects:
>Discourses on Digital Culture" (http://www.cyborgsubjects.org) seeks to come
>to terms with its core idea: the cyborg subject.
>
>The internet is not only a desired space but also a space full of desires.
>It enables the posthuman to experience a sense of freedom. A freedom of the
>expression of identity, speech, etc. At the same time the digital subject is
>a dialectical subject, its data and cyberspatial roots are collected, stored
>and sold. It is turned into commodity. Its freedom of expression might also
>not be heard or recognized by mainstream media. In what sense is the
>posthuman subject a limited subject then?
>
>We welcome contributions from the humanities and social sciences,
>specifically from perspectives like critical theory, art and media theory,
>Cultural Studies, literature, psychoanalysis, philosophy, as well as
>sociology and anthropology in general.
>
>Possible questions that can be dealt with include, but are not limited to:
>
>- Is there such a thing as post-human subjectivity?
>
>- What is the relationship between the concept of the cyborg and the concept
>of the posthuman?
>
>- How are the digital and posthuman subject interwoven?
>
>- How do the Internet and new media shape the posthuman subject?
>
>- How is the subject constituted by the websites and services it uses?
>
>The journal accepts both long (7000-8000 words) and short articles
>(3000-5000 words), as well as video talks/presentations that are 5- to
>10-minute in length. Text submissions must be written using the Harvard
>System of citations. Video submissions are suggested, but not required, to
>have a unique multimedia format (photo slideshow, documentary of
>surroundings, graphs, text citations, etc). A number of selected videos will
>be edited together and collaged into our premiere VIDEOTALK documentary
>release available for free download to both members and non-members of the
>website.
>
>All submissions are to be mailed to (submissions /at/ cyborgsubjects.org). Any
>enquiries concerning the calls are also to be sent that way, and one of us
>will get back to you right away. For multimedia submissions, we prefer links
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885